Student or Learner
I want to memorise pompous words please share .....
'-fluous' and '-loquent' are good sources. Try a search at Onelook.
(from Wikipedia)Records from ancient times show that the [Nile] delta had seven distributaries: (from east to west) the Pelusiac, the Tanitic, the Mendesian, the Phatnitic, the Sebennytic, the Bolbitine, and the Canopi
I think it was the Duke of Edinburgh who invented the word 'dentapedology' for the ancient art of opening one's mouth and putting one's foot in it.
Hello, Engr.Yasir Ali Bhatti:
(1) When you say "pompous words," do you mean words that
sound more "intellectual" than simpler words?
(a) For example, "cease" instead of the simple "stop"?
(2) Here in the United States, our teachers tell us NOT to use
pompous words (which are often longer and look more impressive).
(3) Perhaps you have a reason why you wish to have a list of so-called
pompous words. Do you wish to use them in your writing? I hear that
in some countries, people are impressed by the use of long words.
(4) I have found a website that will help you. It lists hundreds of
"long" words and shorter words that often mean the same.
(5) Remember: here in the States, people are encouraged to use
shorter and simpler words whenever possible. If you wish to use the
longer "pompous" words, that is your business and I respect your right.
(6) Simply google:
Garbl's Long Word Replacements
I wish you the best of luck.