I’m new to the forum, so forgive me if my question here is out of line.
I’m looking for some help in Diagramming a sentence, using “SenDraw”. I’m also looking for comments on my interpretation of the below indented paragraph.
First – I’m working with an engineer where English is a second language for him. The engineer wrote a specification for a project. His interpretation forces me to incur a substantial amount of cost I hadn’t planned on due to my interpretation of the specifications. I feel that I need to diagram the section of the specification that we’re in conflict over, in order for him to understand, or maybe agree, with my interpretation.
Second– Following are some definitions for various abbreviations and terms used in the specifications, to aid in the understanding of the paragraph:
FDS – Fire Detection SystemThird – I am responsible for:
CEP – Crude Expansion Project
PAR – Port Arthur
Firetrol – A manufacture that makes fire pump controllers
Attachment D-3X – A catalog sheet of a particular type of fire pump controller.
Tag number – A unique number associated with a device, used by the facility to catalog equipment and track performance, maintenance, etc.
- Designing, and supplying the “…FDS…”, as well as making sure it functions as outlined in the specifications.
- Designing and supplying the “…central station…” and “…central station network…” which is located in the existing PAR Fire House.
- There are two sets of fire pumps. One set is referred to as “…existing PAR fire pumps…” and the other as “…new CEP…pumps”
- to as “…existing refinery fire being provided by others, and there are old fire pumps that, after hearing the engineer’s interpretation, need to be replaced.
The indented paragraph below is the source of contention, specifically the second to last paragraph.
184.108.40.206 - The existing refinery fire water pumps are currently configured for local operation. The FDS design shall include provision for all wiring and instrumentation necessary for monitoring run status and activating pump start / stop from the central station network in the PAR Fire House. Pump tag numbers for these pumps are shown below. Fire pump controllers for the new CEP electrical and diesel pumps shown in Section 220.127.116.11 above are included in Exhibit E drawings. For bidding purposes, SUBCONTRACTOR shall use the same Firetrol controllers that are in use for the existing PAR fire pumps (refer to Attachment D-3X). Drawings for the existing PAR fire pump controllers will be provided to SUBCONTRACTOR during detailed design.
The engineer interprets “…SUBCONTRACTOR SHALL use the same Firetrol controllers…” to mean that I am to provide new Firetrol controllers.
I would think that if the paragraph was intended to mean that I had to supply these controllers, “…provide…” would have been used in place of “…use…”, in this sentence.
I interpret the second to last sentence to mean that I need to “…use the same Firetrol controllers that are in use for the existing PAR fire pump (refer to Attachment D-3)…” when determining what is required in order to “…include provision for wiring and instrumentation necessary for monitoring run status and activating pump start / stop from the central network in the PAR Fire House”.
- Is my interpretation correct, reasonable or otherwise? (feel free to elaborate).
- Is the engineer’s interpretation correct, reasonable or otherwise ?
- Is the word “…use…” being applied as a verb, transitive verb, or intransitive verb. If it’s a transitive verb, what’s the object?
- Would I be correct in saying that “…use…” is being used as a transitive verb but because of poor grammar, it’s missing the object, which should have been “…provide a fire pump controller…”?
- Is there anything wrong with the sentence and if so, what?
- How can I upload a SenDraw of the sentence, or is that even necessary, and could I get help to diagram the sentence?