Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Japan
I want to write a letter to an institution I interviewed, telling them that:

I would very much like to be considered for that vacancy. But I have to make a quite decision because I have got an offer from another place who wanted me to reply immediately. I am in a dilemma because I don't want to lose the opportunity to work for you, and I can't afford losing an offer by keeping them waiting so long.

How shall I put it clearly and appropriately? I don't want to sound like I am using leverage to get that job...

Please help me...Thanks a lot!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I want to write a letter to an institution I interviewed, telling them that:

I would very much like to be considered for that vacancy. But I have to make a quite decision because I have got an offer from another place who wanted me to reply immediately. I am in a dilemma because I don't want to lose the opportunity to work for you, and I can't afford losing an offer by keeping them waiting so long.

How shall I put it clearly and appropriately? I don't want to sound like I am using leverage to get that job...

Please help me...Thanks a lot!!

Try the letter yourself first and post it here and then we'll comment. You have already written most of what you need in your post!

sbby

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Japan
Thanks * 1000
--------------------------------

Dear xxx,

I enjoyed my interview with you last Friday for the xxx position.

You should know that I am very interested in this opportunity with xxx, becasue the job seems to be a very good match for my skills and interests. .......

I am eager to know how your decision process is coming along. I am in a dilemma--I have got another job offer, which required my immediate reply. I don't want to lose the opportunity to work for you, but I can't afford losing the offer by keeping them waiting.

I understand that you have established procedures to follow in recruiting. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Again, thanks you for taking time to interview me. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
xxx

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well, of course, honesty is the best policy, however, in this situation I wouldn't tell my potential employer that I've got another offer. He may understand it as a way of asking him for a higher salary, or something, and think that I'm a tricky person that cannot be trusted. My recommendation is ask him to give you more time for consideration as it's a serious decision you're going to make, and so on.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Pokemon- I would withdraw the offer on receipt of this letter if I were the employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.