Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of "under the belt" in the following:
[You are just a two-bit tailor who sold his soul in exchange for an extra three inches below the belt]

It's not specified "3 inches" of what? But I don't know if that will affect the meaning.

Thanks a lot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,

What is the meaning of "under the belt" in the following:
[You are just a two-bit tailor who sold his soul in exchange for an extra three inches below the belt]

It's not specified "3 inches" of what? But I don't know if that will affect the meaning.

Thanks a lot.

Your post is entitled "under the belt" and your first line queries the meaning of "under the belt". However, the actual quote states "below the belt".

Despite the fact that "below" and "under" can have the same meaning, these two phrases are actually quite different.

I have 2 swimming qualifications under my belt = I have achieved 2 swimming qualifications.

That move was below the belt = The move was underhand/illegal/unfair.

I have a feeling that in the case of your specific example, it may be that the tailor has sold his soul to the devil in exchange for 3 extra inches of length to his genitalia. I'm not certain as there's no actual context but if I had to guess, that's what I'd go for.

Edit: I've just read it again and had another thought. If he's a tailor then he's dealing with material. If he's making trousers then there would be an area of material physically below the area where the belt goes, so it's possible that the "selling of his soul to the devil" is metaphorical and he literally has gained three inches of material to the piece of clothing.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Your post is entitled "under the belt" and your first line queries the meaning of "under the belt". However, the actual quote states "below the belt".

Despite the fact that "below" and "under" can have the same meaning, these two phrases are actually quite different.

I have 2 swimming qualifications under my belt = I have achieved 2 swimming qualifications.

That move was below the belt = The move was underhand/illegal/unfair.

I have a feeling that in the case of your specific example, it may be that the tailor has sold his soul to the devil in exchange for 3 extra inches of length to his genitalia. I'm not certain as there's no actual context but if I had to guess, that's what I'd go for.

it's "below the belt". Sorry, that wasn't meant, and thanks you drew my attention to the difference.

YEs your guess might be right, because it's something measured with "inches"! Can't be for ex. a piece of land or something. In the mean time, I dont' know it doesn't make sense to sell his soul to get his penis longer!

Thanks

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well the the second person answered "just trying to hit double digits"! Does that mean, according to what you've kindly suggested, that he tried to lengthen it to be 10 inches or more??

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.