• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

The gap between vision and reality

I'll appreciate your grammatical corrections for this passage. Thanks.

However, with ignoring the gap between vision and reality, the president could indulge in talking about future reality of a prosperous, blooming and especially - democratic region while avoiding any mention of the difficulties and the challenges which the region is confronted with. The president even went as far as harnessing the ruler of… to the wagon of change and progress, imploring him gently to generate change in his country, as though the ruler of … is part of the solution rather than the source of the problem...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The gap between vision and reality

Hi, I am not a teacher, but as a native speaker, your passage sounds fine to me except for the minor corrections I have made.

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    I'll appreciate your grammatical corrections for this passage. Thanks.

However, with[by] ignoring the gap between vision and reality, the president could indulge in talking about [a] future reality of a prosperous, blooming and especially - democratic region while avoiding any mention of the difficulties and the challenges which the region is confronted with.{some sticklers don't like ending a sentence with a preposition, but I think this is fine} The president even went as far as harnessing the ruler of… to the wagon of change and progress, imploring him gently to generate change in his country, as though the ruler of … is part of the solution rather than the source of the problem...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by luschen View Post
    Hi, I am not a teacher, but as a native speaker, your passage sounds fine to me except for the minor corrections I have made.
    Thank you very much luschen! Is there option without a preposition in the sentence: "by igonoring the gap between.." I mean just "igonoring the gap..." ?

My second question: How do I know when to use/ not to use the article (a) before nouns such as future, change, part etc.?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi,

You can say "ignoring the gap" without the by, but that is asking the reader to ignore the gap. If you say "by ignoring the gap", you are saying the president was the one doing the ignoring.

Here is a good article on using articles ;)

Purdue OWL: How to Use Articles (a/an/the)

I said "a future reality" because you are saying there are many possible futures, but one of them involves prosperity. I really think articles are one of the hardest things to master when learning English. It is funny, because native speakers don't even have to think twice when using articles - it just sounds right or it doesn't, but it is hard to come up with rules or reasons.