Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,
How are you today,I hope you have a great day:-D.

My question is about the places of articulation:-?

So,

1*The palato-alveolar sounds inculde /ʃ/ /ʒ/ /tʃ/ /dʒ/
But other confine it in just two consonants /ʃ/ /ʒ/

2*The Alveolar sounds:/t/ /d/ /s/ /z/ /n/ /l/
The other add the sound /r/

3*Glottal sounds: /h/, /a/ just /h/

Is it a question of which english accent do you use?

And what about /w/?

Sources:

Describing consonants

http://www.apec-elearning.org/mst/tm/6/apec_englishsoundchanges.pdf
and other....

Excuse me for my lengthy thread:oops:

All the best

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1The palato-alveolar sounds include the fricatives /ʃ/ /ʒ/, and the affricates /tʃ/ /dʒ/

/l/ could be classed as an alveolar sound; it is generally known as a lateral approximant,

In standard BrE RP, /r/ is a post-alveolar approximant, but it can be rendered in other dialects as an alveolar tap, a lingual trill, an uvular trill or an uvular fricative

And what about /w/? It's a labio-velar approximant.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
1The palato-alveolar sounds include the fricatives /ʃ/ /ʒ/, and the affricates /tʃ/ /dʒ/

/l/ could be classed as an alveolar sound; it is generally known as a lateral approximant,

In standard BrE RP, /r/ is a post-alveolar approximant, but it can be rendered in other dialects as an alveolar tap, a lingual trill, an uvular trill or an uvular fricative

And what about /w/? It's a labio-velar approximant.

Thank you very much sir for your detailed answer:up:, you are always too helpful.

Thank you again and again.:up::up:

Respectfully yours

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you very much sir for your detailed answer
You're welcome - glad the answer was helpful. :)

ps. Please don't call me 'sir'. Some of us know a little bit more about English than others in this forum, but we are all just members or visitors, and most of us are learners in some way.

Titles such as 'Junior Member', 'VIP' member' etc are just a bit of fun. They simply mean that one has the time and inclination to answer, or ask, a number of questions - and/or to write a lot of limericks, or play a lot of games.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
You're welcome - glad the answer was helpful. :)

ps. Please don't call me 'sir'. Some of us know a little bit more about English than others in this forum, but we are all just members or visitors, and most of us are learners in some way.

Titles such as 'Junior Member', 'VIP' member' etc are just a bit of fun. They simply mean that one has the time and inclination to answer, or ask, a number of questions - and/or to write a lot of limericks, or play a lot of games.You are too modest, teachers like you deserve more than 'Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Excuse me for my multitude of questions because I have always ones concerning phonetics especially when I find different answers that make things more vague and complicated.
My teacher taught us British English but he considered /r/ as an alveolar sound !!
All the best
Have a nice day

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Excuse me for my multitude of questions
Don't worry about that - it's what the forum is here for

because I have always ones concerning phonetics especially when I find different answers that make things more vague and complicated.
There are few precise answers in speech. The IPA symbols represent certain precisely defined sounds, which are a useful guide to transcription, though some of them may not exist in exactly that form in most languages. A trained phonetician will use all sorts of supercript, subscript and diacritic symbols to try to represent exactly what sound has been uttered.

When I say the word 'murdering', the sounds represented by the letter 'r' will sound very different indeed when uttered by speakers from, for example, New York, Dorset, Glasgow or Newcastle. Even if I say the word twice, trying to say it in exactly the same way each time, a spectogram will show tiny differences.

My teacher taught us British English but he considered /r/ as an alveolar sound.
It may have been an alveolar sound, in his dialect.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Don't worry about that - it's what the forum is here for
Thank you very much, really I feel ashamed :oops:when I ask too much questions.

The IPA symbols represent certain precisely defined sounds, which are a useful guide to transcription, though some of them may not exist in exactly that form in most languages
Yes,I find many symbols that we do not need them in transcription as the vowel diagram I have posted in the prevoius thread.

It may have been an alveolar sound, in his dialect
I do not no, he is non native speaker but he studied in great britain .

Thank you for your clarification teacher:up:.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.