• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

An exclusive photoshoot? Or perhaps the definite article is a better option?

Since Angelina Jolie gave birth to twins in July, the world has seen little of the Hollywood star and her brood - apart from an exclusive photoshoot in HELLO!, of course. But the lack of sightings sent the rumour mill into overdrive, with reports alleging the Oscar-winning actress and mother of six was either overwhelmed with domestic duties, suffering from post-natal depression or having relationship troubles with parter Brad Pitt.
    Hello, everyone.

This sentence is the first sentence in a 2008 report.

I think it's better to say the exclusive photoshoot instead.

We can see clearly from the extract Angelina made so few public appearances at the time to the point that rumour started to amount.I think it's farely safe to assume the HELLO! magazine, however influencial it may have been, was only given permission for one session of photoshoot. At least it wouldn't be wrong if the is used in the place of a.

Many thanks

Richard

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: An exclusive photoshoot? Or perhaps the definite article is a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by cubezero3 View Post
    Hello, everyone.

This sentence is the first sentence in a 2008 report.

I think it's better to say the exclusive photoshoot instead.

We can see clearly from the extract Angelina made so few public appearances at the time to the point that rumour started to amount.I think it's farely safe to assume the HELLO! magazine, however influencial it may have been, was only given permission for one session of photoshoot. At least it wouldn't be wrong if the is used in the place of a.

Many thanks

Richard
    Not a teacher only a native.

I would say 'An' is fine in this use, though 'The' would also be appropriate. The 'exclusive' part of the quote suggests that there was only a one off occasion where photographs were taken.

'The' would be used to add emphasis, stressing that the photoshoot is widely known and important, an event that everyone knows about.

Like I said not a teacher only a native, perhaps a teacher could add some insight.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: An exclusive photoshoot? Or perhaps the definite article is a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    I would say 'An' is fine in this use, though 'The' would also be appropriate. The 'exclusive' part of the quote suggests that there was only a one-off occasion where photographs were taken.

'The' would be used to add emphasis, stressing that the photoshoot is widely known and important, an event that everyone knows about.
    Nothing I can add - that's fine, apart from a missing hyphen in one-off.

I think the word I underlined should be 'usage', but I have to confess that I get my uses and usages confused myself.