Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This has puzzled me for the longest time... Why is it that people say "Credits goes to" rather than "Credit goes to" or "Credits go to"? Basically, I don't understand why "credits" is treated as a singular noun in this particular case. Note that I'm not talking about movie credits or anything as such; what I have in mind, rather, is the kind of acknowledgements that can be found at the end of a document.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This has puzzled me for the longest time... Why is it that people say "Credits goes to" rather than "Credit goes to" or "Credits go to"? Basically, I don't understand why "credits" is treated as a singular noun in this particular instance. Note that I'm not talking about movie credits or anything as such; what I have in mind, rather, is the kind of acknowledgements that can be found at the end of a document.

When using it as an acknowledgement, I've never heard "credits" used. It's always "Credit goes to..."

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Never seen "Credits goes to" -- I agree with emsr2d2

Not a teacher (AmE native)

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Such a practice is far from uncommon; try typing the phrase into Google, including the quotation marks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Such a practice is far from uncommon; try typing the phrase into Google, including the quotation marks.
You can find almost any spelling or grammar mistake that you want on Google.

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You can find almost any spelling or grammar mistake that you want on Google.
You should pay closer attention to the discussion before posting. That way you would have realized why I posted that.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You should pay closer attention to the discussion before posting. That way you would have realized why I posted that.
I'm sure bhaisahab realises why you posted that. His answer makes no sense unless he assumes that you're either using a Google search as an authority, or this is where you see it so often.
The first two responses would be indicative of native speakers, and would reflect their knowledge of correct English. "Credits goes to" is wrong...

Still, your question hasn't been answered. I also did a Google search, and the first two pages brought up pages that appeared to be by non-native speakers. (Remember that there are probably as many people who don't know English using English on the web, as there are who do know it. When you add the number of uneducated or semiliterate native speakers to the former, and subtract them from the latter, it becomes more obvious why such errors occur.)

Why this phrase? Maybe there are many people who only know "credits" from movies, where it is almost always used in the plural, that they automatically use 'credits' whenever 'credit' is called for?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Do you have any other examples of this usage (other than those found on Google)?

Status
Not open for further replies.