Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm not sure if it acceptable to shorten sentences with 'either'. I often use the first structure, but I can't recollect hearing anybody say the second.

I like rock'n'roll. - I do, too, (1)
I don't like rock'n'roll. - I don't either. (2)

I would be grateful for any help.
Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I like rock'n'roll. - I do, too - or: so do I.
I don't like rock'n'roll. - I don't, either - or: neither/nor do I

All are fine.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you! For some strange reason it sounded wrong to me; perhaps it was so because I almost always came across the 'neither' pattern.

I've got one more question. How common is a shortened affirmative sentence if compared to the 'so+aux.verb+noun" model?

She lives in London with her parents and Peter lives in London with his parents too --->
..... and Peter does too. (1)
.... and so does Peter. (2)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you! For some strange reason it sounded wrong to me; perhaps it was so because I almost always came across the 'neither' pattern.

I've got one more question. How common is a shortened affirmative sentence if compared to the 'so+aux.verb+noun" model?

She lives in London with her parents and Peter lives in London with his parents too --->

Both of your shortened choices at the end suggest that Peter lives with her parents, not his own.

She lives in London with her parents and so does Peter = They both live with her parents.
She lives in London with her parents and Peter does too = They both live with her parents.
She lives in London with her parents and Peter lives in London with his = They both live in London with their respective parents.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

She works in a language school in Berlin and Peter works in a language school in Berlin, too --->
My feeling is that the 'so' form is more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.