Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

A woman is looking at another woman and is thinking to herself:

She had carried into her fifties a good deal of a hard blonde beauty, an excellent constitution and much of the slangy dash of the twenties.

Does "constitution" here means "good looks"?

What a "slangy dash" is?​

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

Since I´ve been waiting for comments myself, I'd risk the following interpretation::

She had carried into her fifties a good deal of a hard blonde beauty, a body in excellent shape and much of the irreverent touch of the twenties.

M.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

Since I´ve been waiting for comments myself, I'd risk the following interpretation::

She had carried into her fifties a good deal of a hard blonde beauty, a body in excellent shape and much of the irreverent touch of the twenties.

M.

'in excellent shape' - good, so long as you don't interpet it as referring just to shape. Informally you could say 'in pretty good nick'.

irreverent :up:

touch :-? I'd have used some expression that referred to an attitude and an approach to life. Some writers might choose a word such as 'bravura' - not sure I would (although I just did :oops:)

b

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

For the sake of a smile:

"She had carried into her fifties a good deal of a hard blonde beauty, a body in pretty good nick and much of the irreverent bravura of the twenties.":-D

Now, being seriuous: although I would never use "bravura", I often use "bravado" for defiance or irreverence.

Regards,

M.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
... although I would never use "bravura", I often use "bravado" for defiance or irreverence.

Regards,

M.

Me too. I think 'slangy dash' refers to an attitude that is sometimes called 'devil-may-care' - ready to take risks, and hang the consequences. Young people, you'll have noticed, are immortal. ;-)

b

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
In my opinion the author was coining another use for "slangy" as a provocative attitude rather than provocative language.Don't you agree BobK? But I like the word "irreverent". And you are absolutely right: young people are irreverent towards death. Mocking it was great fun for me, made me believe I would always conquer it.:lol:

M.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion the author was coining another use for "slangy" as a provocative attitude rather than provocative language.Don't you agree BobK? ...

I'd hesitate to say 'coining', but s/he was certainly extending it from the realm of language. Young peoples' use of slang and other irreverent behaviour are all born of one attitude: Why shouldn't I.. [... say 'minging'? or ... Walk near the edge of the cliff?]

b

Status
Not open for further replies.