"Dull sliver barrel"; what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toril

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Norwegian
Home Country
Norway
Current Location
Norway
Hi,
this is my first post in this forum.

I'm about to translate some pages from English to Norwegian. It's from a book by Derek Nikitas, called Pyres. It's in the crime/noir genre.

I'm wondering about this sentence:

He was aiming a gun with a dull sliver barrel and slanted groove marks near the muzzle.

The word "sliver" is what gives me headache. At first I thought it might be a spelling error for "silver", but I wonder now if a "sliver barrel" means a gun that has been cut off, to make the barrel shorter. Which could explain the "slanted groove marks near the muzzle".

I appreciate any insight!

Toril

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
this is my first post in this forum.

I'm about to translate some pages from English to Norwegian. It's from a book by Derek Nikitas, called Pyres. It's in the crime/noir genre.

I'm wondering about this sentence:

He was aiming a gun with a dull sliver barrel and slanted groove marks near the muzzle.

The word "sliver" is what gives me headache. At first I thought it might be a spelling error for "silver", but I wonder now if a "sliver barrel" means a gun that has been cut off, to make the barrel shorter. Which could explain the "slanted groove marks near the muzzle".

I appreciate any insight!

Toril
I'd say it's a typo for silver. Perhaps something like this: Google Image Result for http://colt-revolvers.com/15big.jpg
I used to collect these things.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Silver' would almost certainly be used in the sense of the colour rather than the metal - though the Longe Ranger used silver bullets, so you never know. ;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: I'm pretty sure it's a typo. I've never met 'sliver' in this sense. A revolver is 'snub-nosed' and a shotgun is 'sawn-off'.

b

toril

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Norwegian
Home Country
Norway
Current Location
Norway
Thanks all for your contributions! :)

I'll go for an old, well used gun, with silver color.

Toril

Status
Not open for further replies.