Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm studying mathematics at university and I want to become a mathematical teacher in English. What do i need to do ? What kind of certificate I need have got ?
I'm confusing about it. :cry:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm studying mathematics at university and I want to become a mathematic[STRIKE]al[/STRIKE]s teacher in English. What do [STRIKE]i [/STRIKE] I need to do? What kind of certificate [STRIKE]I need have got[/STRIKE] do I need to have?
I'm confus[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE]ed about it. :cry:
If you wish to teach mathematics in a a stae school in an English-speaking country, you will need both a degree in mathematics and a government/state-recognised teaching qualification. If your qualification is recognised by a country other than the one in which you wish to teach, it may not be recognised in that country.

As English is not your native language, you will almost certainly have to have some form of recognised certificate in English, such as a specified grade in IELTS or TOEFL.

If you wish to teach in an English-language establishment in a country in which English is not an official language, you may find that the requirements are less stringent.

If you wish to teach in a private establishment in an English-speaking counry, you may also find the the requirements are less stringent - though you may find it very difficult to obtain the necessary residence and work permits.

Your chances of finding a job may be higher if you gain a masters degree from a university in an English-speaking country - but you will still need a teaching qualification before you can teach in a school.

learnel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much, indeed. I wish to teach in a country in which E is not an official language, in my country. Now my english is not good . I'll try my best to improve it. I will prepare for an international english exam. Could you tell me more about IELTS? "There
are different Reading and Writing tests for the Academic and General Training modules"- it means that I have to choose just one, acedemic or general training in these parts? what is the difference between them ?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm studying mathematics at university and I want to become a mathematical teacher in English. What do i need to do ? What kind of certificate I need have got ?
I'm confusing about it. :cry:
Do you have lectures in English? If you have a choice, it would be beneficial for you to choose lectures in English.

learnel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Russian Federation
Do you have lectures in English? If you have a choice, it would be beneficial for you to choose lectures in English.
Can you help me find mathematical lectures in E? I want to find some books E for mathematics, but i dont find out

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Can you help me find mathematical lectures in E? I want to find some books E for mathematics, but i dont find out
I meant the lectures at your university. The spoken ones. Do you professors lecture in English?

As for the books, it depends on what kind of mathematics you want to read about.

learnel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Russian Federation

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
:oops: no, I dont have lectures in E. i'm finding this book
Mathematics: IGCSE: 1 Cambridge International Examinations: Amazon.co.uk: Karen Morrison: Books
what's the meaning of IGCSE?
i need some books which can help me know how to read mathematical symbol ,formula..

Unfortunately, I don't know what IGCSE means. I'm not sure what your needs are. Here is what seems to be an introduction to speaking about mathematics for Vietnamese students. I have only skimmed it, but I see it's not very good. There are mistakes in it and some parts are difficult to read due to bad layout, but it's better than nothing.

I would recommend that you try reading serious books about mathematics in English. This is the best way to learn it. If you have questions about English as it is used in mathematics, I think it's OK if you post them here. (If administrators will consider it a bad idea, you can send your questions to me by PM. I will do my best to help you.)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some countries recognise the Cambridge Proficiency (CPE) exam for teaching.

learnel

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Russian Federation
Some countries recognise the Cambridge Proficiency (CPE) exam for teaching.
Where can I go in for this exam? Can i pass this exam in my country ?

Status
Not open for further replies.