Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

A teacher was on a sick leave and the head of school using her money paid for her hospital etc.

She said:

If I can go back to work at the beginning of next​
term, I shan’t have been such a burden after all.’

Does it mean if I go back to school next term I won't be such a burden to him any more.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A teacher was on [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] sick leave and the head of school using her money paid for her hospital etc.

If you mean that the head used money belong to her, then you need commas round: 'using her money'.

She said:

If I can go back to work at the beginning of next
term, I shan’t have been such a burden after all.’

Does it mean if I go back to school next term I won't be such a burden to him any more.
Not exactly. It means that when she returns to the school next term, she will be able to think. "I have not been such a burden".

If the sentence had been, "If I can go back to work at the beginning of next term I shan't/wont be such a burden after all", then the idea is that when she returns to to the school next term, she will (no longer) be a burden.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Guest, please stop reducing the font size of your quotations. Some of our eyes aren't what they were.

Rover

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
I write using the same font size and either use italics sometimes or write in bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.