Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

I have made a point of traveling with a large sack filled to the brim with books to suit every possible occasion and every mood.

Blackberries tasted on rain. Soames made a point of eating one every year and by the flavor could tell what sort of year it had been.

make a point of doing something = insist on doing something, direct someone’s attention to, consider doing something one’s duty

However here is my card, since you make a point.

make something a point = press for something

V.

Last edited:

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

I have made a point of traveling with a large sack filled to the brim with books to suit every possible occasion and every mood.

Blackberries tasted on rain. Soames made a point of eating one every year and by the flavor could tell what sort of year it had been.

make a point of doing something = insist on doing something, direct someone’s attention to, consider doing something one’s duty

However here is my card, since you make a point.

make something a point = press for something

V.

Not a teacher only a native.

I think you have the gist of the phrase.

'Make a point' of something is used to emphasise an action, it was a conscious decision to do something.

Your last example, 'However here is my card, since you make a point', has a different meaning. Here, make a point', means 'made sense' or 'was persuasive.

They are my interpretations anyway, a teacher may be able to explain this better.

Status
Not open for further replies.