Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,189
    #1

    Cool to plan

    Hello!

    Is "for" necessary at the end of this question, please?

    "When is your next presentation planned for? "

    Thank you very much
    Will

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 301
    #2

    Re: to plan

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    Hello!

    Is "for" necessary at the end of this question, please?

    "When is your next presentation planned for? "

    Thank you very much
    Will
    The preposition "for" is absolutely necessary. It is used to state the particular time or date that your presentation is planned to happen. For example, you may answer the question by saying "My next presentation is planned for June 16th."

    If you omit the "for" at the end of the question, the question asks the time when your presentation is planned rather than asking the date when you will give the presentation. I hope this helps!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #3

    Re: to plan

    Quote Originally Posted by maoyueh View Post
    The preposition "for" is absolutely necessary. It is used to state the particular time or date that your presentation is planned to happen. For example, you may answer the question by saying "My next presentation is planned for June 16th."

    If you omit the "for" at the end of the question, the question asks the time when your presentation is planned rather than asking the date when you will give the presentation. I hope this helps!
    I'm afraid I must disagree. At least in AmE, the question without "for" is perfectly understandable by a listener/reader. And it would be the listener's/reader's decision based on context and interaction with the questioner whether to respond including date or time or both.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #4

    Re: to plan

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    I'm afraid I must disagree. At least in AmE, the question without "for" is perfectly understandable by a listener/reader. And it would be the listener's/reader's decision based on context and interaction with the questioner whether to respond including date or time or both.
    I concur. The question is understandable and means the same thing with or without the "for." I would use it.

    There is a possibility of confusion that the question "when is your next presentation planned" could mean "when are you planning your presentation" meaning when do you work on what you want to present, prepare Powerpoint, etc. But that is unlikely and context would tell what is meant.

    But in no way does the presence or absence of the "for" change the question from on of date to time.

Similar Threads

  1. plan to have ...
    By panicmonger in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2010, 15:43
  2. According to the plan
    By Nathan Mckane in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Aug-2010, 21:12
  3. Plan on vs plan to ?
    By catrina74 in forum English Phrasal Verbs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2010, 22:50
  4. plan on it
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2007, 02:10
  5. plan
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2007, 17:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •