Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'd like to know if these two expressions have the same meaning or if they are normally used in different context.

For example:

1) You think you should prove/challenge yourself, otherwise you'll never be able to demonstrate you are not a shy guy.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd like to know if these two expressions have the same meaning or if they are normally used in different context.

For example:

1) You think you should prove/challenge yourself, otherwise you'll never be able to demonstrate you are not a shy guy.
You can challenge yourself without proving yourself. 'Prove' isn't the same as 'provare' (try, test), which would probably work in this sentence.
To prove yourself, you have to not only challenge yourself, but be successful as well.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Would you please write some examples? I'd like to understand the difference between them through the use of practical examples... ;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Would you please write some examples? I'd like to understand the difference between them through the use of practical examples... ;-)
Following your example:
You challenge yourself by asking a girl on a date.
You prove yourself be being accepted.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Basically, I would say we prove ourselves to others on external standards, whereas we challenge ourselves because we have our own standards toward which we hope to excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.