An overweight exposure to mortgage-backed securities contributed to returns on the ma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eartha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear all,

How should I understand the underlined?

Thanks in advance.

Eartha

Our strategies produced mixed results. Credit spreads continued to contract but unexpectedly strong economic data and rising inflation concerns drove a sell-off in the Treasury market. An overweight exposure to mortgage-backed securities contributed to returns on the margin. The sector had its third consecutive month of positive excess returns on strong carry and declining implied volatility.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not an economist, but I would interpret it as meaning that their mortgage-backed securities performed well and added to profits, though the word overweight suggests that there might be some concern that they are overexposed to these securities.

bwkcaj_ca

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Eartha: Despite the fact that I have a university degree in Economics, an, accounting designation and have spent many years working in the financial industry, I don't believe you need to have such a backgound to make sense of the sentences you submitted. I suspect it is not the meaning of
the sentences but the definition of the jargon being used that is causing you problems.

I agree with Tdol's explanation in large measure, though I suspect the
term 'on the margin' means that the contribution of mortgage-backed securities to aggregate returns was minimal (small.)

Why don't you google the terms you don't understand and see if that
helps?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
though I suspect the
term 'on the margin' means that the contribution of mortgage-backed securities to aggregate returns was minimal (small.)

Thanks for that. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.