Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 73
    #1

    Won't you come? vs. Will you not come?

    Is this grammatically correct?

    Won't you come with me?

    or should it be

    Will you not come with me?

    Thank you!

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #2

    Re: Won't you come? vs. Will you not come?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yura Reiri View Post
    Is this grammatically correct?

    Won't you come with me?

    or should it be

    Will you not come with me?

    Thank you!
    "Won't you come with me?" is fine, it's much more common that "Will you not..."

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #3

    Re: Won't you come? vs. Will you not come?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Won't you come with me?" is fine, it's much more common that "Will you not..."
    In certain places, "Will you not..." would be more common - the South-West of Ireland for example. It's a common construction.

    Any other followers of the wonderful Father Ted TV show will, I'm sure, recall Mrs Doyle's regular:

    Will ya have a cup of tea, Father?
    Will ya not have a sandwich, Father Jack?
    Ah, ya will, ya will, ya will.

    Somehow, it's not quite so funny written down!

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #4

    Re: Won't you come? vs. Will you not come?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In certain places, "Will you not..." would be more common - the South-West of Ireland for example. It's a common construction.

    Any other followers of the wonderful Father Ted TV show will, I'm sure, recall Mrs Doyle's regular:

    Will ya have a cup of tea, Father?
    Will ya not have a sandwich, Father Jack?
    Ah, ya will, ya will, ya will.

    Somehow, it's not quite so funny written down!
    Yes, that's true, I lived in "Father Ted country" (the coast of Galway/Mayo) for twelve years. There are a lot of older constructions that are still in common use in the region.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •