Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:

Should I write incorrect or wrong?

Background:
Since I needed to input a lot of data, I sometimes make mistakes.
The mistakes like input Peter as Pete.

Sentence:

There were too many data, so I input some incorrect / wrong data into the system.

Thanks

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

Question:

Background:

Sentence:
There were too many data, so I input some incorrect / wrong data into the system.

Thanks
You can use either.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:

Background:

Sentence:

Thanks

I agree with Raymott that they're both acceptable but I'd like to point out a little ambiguity in your statement.

Was it the original data that was wrong, or were you provided with the correct data but you entered it incorrectly? It's not possible to tell from your sentence alone. I assume from the background you give that you are saying that sometimes you type the information in incorrectly. However, if the reader does not have that background information and only reads your sentence, it won't be clear whether the error lies with the data or with you.

Note to other (BrE) natives - am I the only person whose gut reaction was that it should be "There was too much data"? (Note: I am aware that data is the plural!)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Raymott that they're both acceptable but I'd like to point out a little ambiguity in your statement.

Was it the original data that was wrong, or were you provided with the correct data but you entered it incorrectly? It's not possible to tell from your sentence alone. I assume from the background you give that you are saying that sometimes you type the information in incorrectly. However, if the reader does not have that background information and only reads your sentence, it won't be clear whether the error lies with the data or with you.

Note to other (BrE) natives - am I the only person whose gut reaction was that it should be "There was too much data"? (Note: I am aware that data is the plural!)

While (technically/grammatically) the word "data" is plural, in AmE one would seldom/never, hear/read "were too many data".

uktous

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

This American thinks it should be "there was too much data" or "there were too many data points."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Usage: From a historical point of view only, the word data is a plural. In fact, in many cases it is not clear from context if it is being used as a singular or plural, so there is no issue: when next needed the data can be accessed very quickly. When it is necessary to specify, the preferred usage nowadays in general language is to treat it as singular, as in: this data is useful to the government in the planning of housing services. There are rather more examples in the Bank of English of these data than this data, with a marked preference for the plural in academic and scientific writing. As regards data is versus data are, the preference for the plural form overall is even more marked in that kind of writing. When speaking, however, it is best to opt for treating the word as singular, except in precise scientific contexts. The singular form datum is comparatively rare in the sense of a single item of data.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, there's a difference between typing in the wrong data, and typing in the right data incorrectly (at least in theory, though the result could be the same.)

Status
Not open for further replies.