• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

times three?

I thought a normal expression for this is "three times more happiness", but the following is hard to understand "times three". Does it make sense?

ex)With so many children in the world in need of a home, how wonderful that you have the supply of love to go and find three and take them to your heart! You two are special people, and now the parents of three daughters. How delighted we were to finally hear of Sui, Beth, and Wa Linn's successful trip from China! Your home must be overflowing with happiness, times three......

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: times three?

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I thought a normal expression for this is "three times more happiness", but the following is hard to understand "times three". Does it make sense?

ex)With so many children in the world in need of a home, how wonderful that you have the supply of love to go and find three and take them to your heart! You two are special people, and now the parents of three daughters. How delighted we were to finally hear of Sui, Beth, and Wa Linn's successful trip from China! Your home must be overflowing with happiness, times three......
    It can be used in that construction too. As with a mathematical equation you can take it as either "3 (times 10)" or "3 times (10)".

- Are you happy?
    - Am I happy? I'm ecstatic. Times a million!!

OK, so that's an exaggeration but it still demonstrates the point. It's probably safe to say that it's used far more in spoken English than in written. There would be no way to say it using "number times more..." in my example. "I'm a million times more ecstatic!" A million times more ecstatic than what? Than I expected to be? Than you are? There's nothing to compare it too. I'm simply saying "Imagine that I am absolutely ecstatic and then multiply that feeling by a million. That's how good I feel!"
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 17-Jun-2011 at 15:53. Reason: Typo