Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is from my grammar book regrading phone conversation, but I've never heard of that for the other party when you answer a call. Is it possible?

ex)Hello, this is Paul, is that Jane?

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

I think of it this way: "this" for the immediate surround of the speaker, "that" for what is outside it. Now for the other side expressing surprise:

- Hello, yes, this Jane. Is that really Paul?

M.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is from my grammar book regrading phone conversation, but I've never heard of that for the other party when you answer a call. Is it possible?

As strange as it might seem, "this" for both phrases is often (maybe more often) heard.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

As usual, I don't know if this is another BrE vs AmE divide. For me, referring to the person on the other end of the phone as "that" is perfectly normal.

- Hi. This is Jane. Is that Bob?
- Yes. This is Bob. Is that Jane Taylor or Jane Simmonds?
- It's Jane Taylor.

- Hello.
- Who's that?
- It's Jane. Who are you?
- Oh, sorry, this is Bob. I was looking for Sarah.

The only occasion I can think of when I would use "this" to refer to the other person involved in the call is if I had asked them several times who they are or for their name and they had not given me a suitable answer. In the end, in frustration, I would probably say:

Who IS this?!!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As usual, I don't know if this is another BrE vs AmE divide. For me, referring to the person on the other end of the phone as "that" is perfectly normal.

- Hi. This is Jane. Is that Bob?
- Yes. This is Bob. Is that Jane Taylor or Jane Simmonds?
- It's Jane Taylor.

- Hello.
- Who's that?
- It's Jane. Who are you?
- Oh, sorry, this is Bob. I was looking for Sarah.

The only occasion I can think of when I would use "this" to refer to the other person involved in the call is if I had asked them several times who they are or for their name and they had not given me a suitable answer. In the end, in frustration, I would probably say:

Who IS this?!!
I agree. You could look at it like this, "Hi. This is Jane (here). Is that Bob (over there)?"

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
As strange as it might seem, "this" for both phrases is often (maybe more often) heard.

This is certainly an AmE/BrE difference. I have only heard "that" used for the receiver of the call, when I was in England.

sunsunmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
this
usage When asking who you are speaking to on the phone, you use the pronouns this in U.S. English and that in British English.
▪ (US) Hello. Is this John? = (Brit) Hello. Is that John?

not_a_teacher_button.png

Status
Not open for further replies.