Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #1

    number

    Dear all,

    What is the meaning of "number" in the following context:

    A: (the widow)Kenny was a decent man. Hard worker, a good provider.
    Detective: No, he was a predator. I mean, he knew we had his number. It's the reason he offed himself.
    A:That's between him and God.

    (Detective went to arrest A's husband but the latter killed himself. (They was after him bec.he turned out to be the killer of A's foster daughter.

    I don't know if it's "phones number" bec. it doesn't make sense to me.

    Kindly ask me if there is any more context needed.

    Thanks a lot.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #2

    Re: number

    Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

    What is the meaning of "number" in the following context:

    A: (the widow)Kenny was a decent man. Hard worker, a good provider.
    Detective: No, he was a predator. I mean, he knew we had his number. It's the reason he offed himself.
    A:That's between him and God.

    (Detective went to arrest A's husband but the latter killed himself. (They was after him bec.he turned out to be the killer of A's foster daughter.

    I don't know if it's "phones number" bec. it doesn't make sense to me.

    Kindly ask me if there is any more context needed.

    Thanks a lot.
    It has little/nothing to do with "numbers" per se. It refers to someone's behavior/background/actions.
    Last edited by billmcd; 17-Jun-2011 at 19:03. Reason: typo

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #3

    Re: number

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    It has little/nothing to do with "numbers" per se. It refers to someone's behavior/background/actions.
    can it mean "lies" or "deceiving" or something like that. That would suit my context.

    Thanks a lot.

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #4

    Re: number

    No, when you "have someone's number" it means that you know that person's character.

    - Watch our for John. He smiles at you, but he's just looking for your weaknesses.
    - Don't worry. I've got his number already.


    - You know, you pretend to be all gruff and mean, but I've got your number. I know you have a heart of gold in there.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1,050
    #5

    Re: number

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    No, when you "have someone's number" it means that you know that person's character.

    - Watch our for John. He smiles at you, but he's just looking for your weaknesses.
    - Don't worry. I've got his number already.


    - You know, you pretend to be all gruff and mean, but I've got your number. I know you have a heart of gold in there.
    Thanks for the "heart of gold" bit... many people tell me so I'm kidding
    Thanks a lot.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] I have your number (Of course not!)
    By Hucky in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2011, 04:09
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2010, 08:59
  3. [Grammar] 'largest number of' and 'biggest number of'
    By wotcha in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-Aug-2010, 18:09
  4. Speaks the number as a whole number
    By fenglish in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jul-2010, 10:26
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Oct-2007, 19:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •