Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 73
    #1

    using had with the time expression now

    For instance, I am narrating a story which happened in the past.

    Would it be wrong to say,

    'She had been suffering from her grave illness for more than three years now'?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Ireland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jun 2011
    • Posts: 48
    #2

    Re: using had with the time expression now

    Not wrong at all. It creates a "presentness".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #3

    Re: using had with the time expression now

    Quote Originally Posted by Yura Reiri View Post
    For instance, I am narrating a story which happened in the past.

    Would it be wrong to say,

    'She had been suffering from her grave illness for more than three years now'?
    Maybe not wrong but I would prefer "until now" or "until the present".

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #4

    Re: using had with the time expression now

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    Maybe not wrong but I would prefer "until now" or "until the present".
    I don't think that's what he means. His story is not over yet.
    "One day, a specialist doctor came to visit. She had been suffering from her grave illness for more than three years now, and she was praying for some useful new advice." It's not yet "the present".

    Yes, this is OK. It's understood that 'now' means "at that specific time in the past in the story."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #5

    Re: using had with the time expression now

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I don't think that's what he means. His story is not over yet.
    "One day, a specialist doctor came to visit. She had been suffering from her grave illness for more than three years now, and she was praying for some useful new advice." It's not yet "the present".

    Yes, this is OK. It's understood that 'now' means "at that specific time in the past in the story."
    "Until now" still works with your extension. Also, "he" didn't provide any context.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #6

    Re: using had with the time expression now

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    "Until now" still works with your extension. Also, "he" didn't provide any context.
    But would you still prefer "until the present" if Yura Reiri had given the context I inferred? That was my only point.

Similar Threads

  1. 'begin' in the present perfect with time expression help!
    By former in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2011, 11:14
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2010, 21:14
  3. Looking for a time expression
    By outofdejavu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2009, 16:19
  4. [Grammar] Time expression
    By MAGICA in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2009, 11:12
  5. No time expression = perfect tense?
    By batmura in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-Jul-2006, 12:27

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •