Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 261
    #1

    ain't

    Going through a thread I saw "ain't" used in a humorous manner. My question is: is it simply wrong or is it just archaic?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #2

    Re: ain't

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannysteps View Post
    Going through a thread I saw "ain't" used in a humorous manner. My question is: is it simply wrong or is it just archaic?
    It is by no means archaic. "Ain't" is widely used in America and in England. "Simply wrong" is what some people might call it, but certainly not all people. It is commonly considered non-standard.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 261
    #3

    Re: ain't

    Thank you Birdeen's call. The problem here is that the practical totality of teachers tend to shun it and condemn its use, and now I gather, for no reason. Also course books are quick to show "Isn't/Aren't" but totally exclude "Ain't". I suppose it is only sheer snobbery.

    Regards,

    M.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #4

    Re: ain't

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannysteps View Post
    Thank you Birdeen's call. The problem here is that the practical totality of teachers tend to shun it and condemn its use, and now I gather, for no reason. Also course books are quick to show "Isn't/Aren't" but totally exclude "Ain't". I suppose it is only sheer snobbery.
    Not all teachers condemn the use of "ain't". Fortunately (in my opinion), many people are not inclined to condemn things. However, the exclusion of "ain't" from coursebooks has a motivation. The word is not a part of standard English and there seems to be little reason for a learner to use it. It's a good thing to know about it though, because it is used by many native speakers.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #5

    Re: ain't

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannysteps View Post
    Going through a thread I saw "ain't" used in a humorous manner. My question is: is it simply wrong or is it just archaic?

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    Hello, Mannysteps.


    (1) Birdeen's Call has given us excellent advice.

    (2) May I give you my advice?

    PLEASE do NOT use it, except when you want to be humorous or

    very informal:

    Tom: The boss is a real idiot.

    Ralph: Ain't that true!!!

    (3) I have no doubt that if you use ain't on a regular basis,

    it will kill your career chances. A company would be embarrassed

    to be represented by someone who consistently uses ain't.

    (4) Of course, we must be very respectful of everyone, including

    people who use ain't regularly. We should never say anything that

    hurts their feelings, and we should never correct their "mistake."

    For such people, it is not a "mistake." But I can assure you that

    most people would not be caught dead (as we say) using that

    word. In fact, when people DO use that word, the listener usually

    smiles or laughs because the listener knows that the speaker is

    being humorous/sarcastic on purpose.


    James

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 261
    #6

    Re: ain't

    Thank you James. What I consider indeed unnaceptable is the usage with other than the first person:

    I / you/ she, he, it / we / they ain't

    But I quite like it when adequately used, although I tend to avoid it myself. Brainwash, I suppose.

    By the way, this thread can be rooted to a funny remark you made, in accordance to the reasons of use you have so well pointed out.

    M.

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #7

    Re: ain't

    Do you mean other than the second person? You list first person there.

    So you find "you ain't" okay but "I ain't" and "he ain't" unacceptable?

    Is it just a personal preference or can you say why?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 261
    #8

    Re: ain't

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannysteps View Post
    Thank you James. What I consider indeed unnaceptable is the usage with other than the first person:

    I / you/ she, he, it / we / they ain't

    But I quite like it when adequately used, although I tend to avoid it myself. Brainwash, I suppose.

    By the way, this thread can be rooted to a funny remark you made, in accordance to the reasons of use you have so well pointed out.

    M.
    As you can see I did say other than the first person to which I should have added "singular, as it is probably a variant of "amn't" still in use in Ireland and Scotland. The list that follows my comment only illustrates all the usages I've observed, to which no preference of mine was added.

    M.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #9

    Re: ain't

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannysteps View Post
    As you can see I did say other than the first person to which I should have added "singular, as it is probably a variant of "amn't" still in use in Ireland and Scotland. The list that follows my comment only illustrates all the usages I've observed, to which no preference of mine was added.

    M.
    It's true that "I amn't" is widely used in Ireland for "I am not" (I'm not) but I don't think it is anything to do with "ain't".
    "I amn't"
    "I, you, we, they, it ain't".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

    • Join Date: May 2011
    • Posts: 261
    #10

    Re: ain't


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •