Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Pokemon,

I like your perfectly sense of humor.

Certainly, you are absolutely right. Why ask the Bishop when the Pope is around.

But I think it is no use to explain to you the traditional close cultural relations between our nations. With the help of the Russian-English dictionary I may to make better sense of the many confused phrases as well as to grasp easy their meaning. An open secret is the fact that my forefathers were coming in the area of the contemporary Bulgaria from the boundless steppes around Volga where was established an ancient powerful khanate.

On the other hand you owe your characters and converting to Christianity also to my ancestors.

It wouldn’t be fair if I pass over in silence your twofold backing up us later, namely Russian-Turkish war of Bulgaria’s liberation and the rendered aid for throwing off the domination of the Nazism in our land.

In defiance of the sound reason I use also time and again many different German-English dictionary in my daily work.

V.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher only a native.

'He looks like a busy' is not correct English. Is it possibly a corruption of, 'He looks like a busybody'?

It looks to me as if the word 'busybody' became more and more widely used - to the extent that it is today the main way of saying 'meddlesome person' using the root 'busy[*]' - displacing a much older 'busy' (which I admit I've never met in this sense).

For some reason - maybe the assonance - it reminds me of the (now archaic) 'clippie' [=bus conductor, in the days I can just remember when the conductor clipped your ticket (in a very impressive machine slung round their necks, that went 'ping')].

The same assonance occurs in the similarly archaic word 'skivvy' - an underling working in a kitchen.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.