• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground?

Is "before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground." a figurative meaning for "when they stop playing around"? What does it mean?

ex)These are the teens we have created : mindless consumers, dressed from head to toe in the outfit prescribed by specialized divisions of the music and fashion industries, isolated from their heritages and their elders, producing nothing of value for their families or their society, obssessed with non-issues fed to them by ghostly heroes. The young men next to me seemed content in their ignorance, but many of their peers want more, and they often don't know how to express their legitimate needs and desires. I no longer have any doubt about what disenchanted American teens need, no matter how inappropriately they may sometimes choose to express what they want. They need to be reconnected with the adult world- the world they will inevitably join before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Is "before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground." a figurative meaning for "when they stop playing around"? What does it mean?

ex)These are the teens we have created : mindless consumers, dressed from head to toe in the outfit prescribed by specialized divisions of the music and fashion industries, isolated from their heritages and their elders, producing nothing of value for their families or their society, obssessed with non-issues fed to them by ghostly heroes. The young men next to me seemed content in their ignorance, but many of their peers want more, and they often don't know how to express their legitimate needs and desires. I no longer have any doubt about what disenchanted American teens need, no matter how inappropriately they may sometimes choose to express what they want. They need to be reconnected with the adult world- the world they will inevitably join before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground.
    Not a teacher only a native.

The phrase means that the young people in the passage will be joining the adult world sooner than they realise. 'Before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground', is a reference to the culture of the youth in the passage.

It seems a bit clumsily wrote to my eye, 'ever reconnects with the ground' could be replaced by 'touches the floor' or simply, 'lands'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    Not a teacher only a native.

The phrase means that the young people in the passage will be joining the adult world sooner than they realise. 'Before their skateboard ever reconnects with the ground', is a reference to the culture of the youth in the passage.

It seems a bit clumsily wrote to my eye, 'ever reconnects with the ground' could be replaced by 'touches the floor' or simply, 'lands'.
    I guessed skatebording is one of teenagers' culture that is disapproved by the writer, so "ever reconnects with the ground" is a figurative meaning for one of the bad activities of teenagers. Isn't it?