• Current Location:
      • Egypt

• Post Thanks / Like

rat squad

Dear all,

What is the meaning of "rat squad"?

I have found this:

Rat Squad

but I haven't yet got the meaning. Is it a real squad or is it just an expression?

Context:

A (detective): CTA scholarships are the tip of the iceberg. We're goin' through your tax returns and bank
    B: (Narcotic cop) I'm retired. You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me?
    A: They even think you got a kid's murder on your hands, bribery's the least of your problems.

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: rat squad

The internal affairs (United States terminology) division of a law enforcement agency investigates incidents and plausible suspicions of lawbreaking and professional misconduct attributed to officers on the force.

Read more: Internal affairs: Information from Answers.com

This is only my guesswork because I am neather a teacher nor a native ES.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Not a teacher only a native.

It's probable 'Rat squad' refers to the Internal Affairs department for a law enforcement agency (eg. the police) given the context.

Rats are considered pests, vermin and undesirable, as such not many people like them. Internal Affairs (whichever business/line of work) is often unpopular with employees, as they investigate members of their workforce alleged of wrongdoing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    Not a teacher only a native.

It's probable 'Rat squad' refers to the Internal Affairs department for a law enforcement agency (eg. the police) given the context.

Rats are considered pests, vermin and undesirable, as such not many people like them. Internal Affairs (whichever business/line of work) is often unpopular with employees, as they investigate members of their workforce alleged of wrongdoing.
    I always thought the word "rat" was used in this context because "to rat" means to divulge details of another person's wrongdoings. If you "rat someone out" then you tell someone (usually in authority) the identity of someone you know is doing something unlawful/unethical.

Consequently, the "rat squad" is the department that you would go to (or they might approach you) in order to rat on a colleague.

But as far as I'm aware, it means Internal Affairs too.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

• Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, there is something missing. "Internal Affairs" is a department where we go to rat someone out?

He said "You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me" (I understand that if I'm gonna rat you out, I wouldn't talk to you first!) there is something missing. I'm confused he speaks generally or referring to a certain unit,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

• Post Thanks / Like

Also, it's not capitalized.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Sorry, there is something missing. "Internal Affairs" is a department where we go to rat someone out?

He said "You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me" (I understand that if I'm gonna rat you out, I wouldn't talk to you first!) there is something missing. I'm confused he speaks generally or referring to a certain unit,

A (detective): CTA scholarships are the tip of the iceberg. We're goin' through your tax returns and bank
    B: (Narcotic cop) I'm retired. You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me?
    A: They even think you got a kid's murder on your hands, bribery's the least of your problems.

A: Accusing B of wrongdoing.
    B: You're going to call Internal Affairs without even talking to me?
    A: Accuses B of more wrongdoing.

B is angry that A is willing to go to Internal Affairs (it appears that A has already alerted Internal Affairs), as B might be innocent and hasn't had a chance to explain himself.

Internal Affairs is an organisation within a police force that investigates potential crimes by members of that police force.

emsr2d2 - Yes, 'rat squad' could refer to ratting someone out.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post

In law enforcement agencies the internal affairs department is the group of folks who investigate reports of wrongdoing by police officers. Whenever IA gets involved, there is a "paper trail" documenting the investigation and whether the officer is found innocent or guilty the fact that he was once suspected of wrongdoing will remain in his personnel file.

Also in law enforcement there is an intense sense of brotherhood and loyalty among police officers which is often referred to as the "blue curtain". Loosely translated, it means cops don't rat out other cops. They don't report it when they see a fellow officer stretch the rules or break the law. Usually an officer's misbehavior has be be fairly significant (or the subject of intense media coverage) for Internal Affairs to get involved, so that's why the Narcotic Cop was shocked that IA had been alerted before anyone bothered to interview him and get his side of the story.