Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of "rat squad"?

I have found this:

Rat Squad

but I haven't yet got the meaning. Is it a real squad or is it just an expression?

Context:

A (detective): CTA scholarships are the tip of the iceberg. We're goin' through your tax returns and bank
B: (Narcotic cop) I'm retired. You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me?
A: They even think you got a kid's murder on your hands, bribery's the least of your problems.

Thanks a lot.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not a teacher only a native.

It's probable 'Rat squad' refers to the Internal Affairs department for a law enforcement agency (eg. the police) given the context.

Rats are considered pests, vermin and undesirable, as such not many people like them. Internal Affairs (whichever business/line of work) is often unpopular with employees, as they investigate members of their workforce alleged of wrongdoing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher only a native.

It's probable 'Rat squad' refers to the Internal Affairs department for a law enforcement agency (eg. the police) given the context.

Rats are considered pests, vermin and undesirable, as such not many people like them. Internal Affairs (whichever business/line of work) is often unpopular with employees, as they investigate members of their workforce alleged of wrongdoing.

I always thought the word "rat" was used in this context because "to rat" means to divulge details of another person's wrongdoings. If you "rat someone out" then you tell someone (usually in authority) the identity of someone you know is doing something unlawful/unethical.

Consequently, the "rat squad" is the department that you would go to (or they might approach you) in order to rat on a colleague.

But as far as I'm aware, it means Internal Affairs too.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Sorry, there is something missing. "Internal Affairs" is a department where we go to rat someone out?

He said "You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me" (I understand that if I'm gonna rat you out, I wouldn't talk to you first!) there is something missing. I'm confused he speaks generally or referring to a certain unit,:oops::oops:

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Also, it's not capitalized.

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, there is something missing. "Internal Affairs" is a department where we go to rat someone out?

He said "You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me" (I understand that if I'm gonna rat you out, I wouldn't talk to you first!) there is something missing. I'm confused he speaks generally or referring to a certain unit,:oops::oops:

A (detective): CTA scholarships are the tip of the iceberg. We're goin' through your tax returns and bank
B: (Narcotic cop) I'm retired. You're gonna call the rat squad without even talking to me?
A: They even think you got a kid's murder on your hands, bribery's the least of your problems.

A: Accusing B of wrongdoing.
B: You're going to call Internal Affairs without even talking to me?
A: Accuses B of more wrongdoing.

B is angry that A is willing to go to Internal Affairs (it appears that A has already alerted Internal Affairs), as B might be innocent and hasn't had a chance to explain himself.

Internal Affairs is an organisation within a police force that investigates potential crimes by members of that police force.

emsr2d2 - Yes, 'rat squad' could refer to ratting someone out.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In law enforcement agencies the internal affairs department is the group of folks who investigate reports of wrongdoing by police officers. Whenever IA gets involved, there is a "paper trail" documenting the investigation and whether the officer is found innocent or guilty the fact that he was once suspected of wrongdoing will remain in his personnel file.

Also in law enforcement there is an intense sense of brotherhood and loyalty among police officers which is often referred to as the "blue curtain". Loosely translated, it means cops don't rat out other cops. They don't report it when they see a fellow officer stretch the rules or break the law. Usually an officer's misbehavior has be be fairly significant (or the subject of intense media coverage) for Internal Affairs to get involved, so that's why the Narcotic Cop was shocked that IA had been alerted before anyone bothered to interview him and get his side of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.