Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
1. Although some people earn a lot of money, they are not_________ with their lives
A pleasant B concerned C satisfy D contented

I chose A but the answer is D. Can you tell me the difference between pleasant with or contented with?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. Although some people earn a lot of money, they are not_________ with their lives

I chose A but the answer is D. Can you tell me the difference between pleasant with or contented with?
"Pleasant with" is meaningless.
If you look up a dictionary, you'll find that things can be pleasant to a person; a person can find something/someone pleasant; but a person cannot be "pleasant with" something/someone.
"Pleasant" means something similar to "pleasing".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"Pleasant" is a description of a person or a thing. It is not an emotion. I think they were trying to trick you into thinking that maybe it could be "...they are not pleased with their lives." Having said that, that would not be a natural phrase either.

I personally think that "happy" should have been one of the choices but, as is so often the case, the most natural answer does not appear. Of the four choices you were given, "contented" is the only which fits grammatically and logically.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "satisfied" would be the most natural, but it's not one of the choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.