• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

will this way help?

hi,everyone, this is my story below.
    A few years ago, I read a book and I still remenber there was a saying, "don't even think in Chinese when you think in English"(the book is Chinese version, so this is my translation). It's about to say when persons try to use its method to learn English, they have to 100% avoid using their native language - english dictionary, only E-E dictionary is allowed;
    Don't watch the English movie that has your language subtitle.
    because it will ruin all the hardwork that they built up, and they have to restart the process again...

I am using this method for a few years and I can see a great progress I made, but unfortunately, it stopped getting better now.

And now it's like a curse has been around my head when I want to solve a question by checking the appropriate Chinese meaning. You know if I use my dictionary, everything is going to be ok.
    But I am afraid that if I do, my effort would be a waste, if I don't that means I need a long long time to understand the question gradually.

so please will someone tell me what can I do, continue the old way or...?

thanks
    ml

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: will this way help?

When embarking on a new regimen of some sort, whether it be learning a second language or trying to lose weight, it is very common to hit a plateau - a time when it seems as if your progress has come to a complete halt. It can be frustrating to work hard and not see any progress, but usually that stage will pass (sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes many months) and you will once again notice improvement.

I think that each individual has his own method for learning a new language. I had a friend who was an executive at Volkswagen in Mexico, and he spoke very good, almost fluent English. However, at the end of a long day he would confess to me: "I'm getting a headache from speaking in English." He then explained that when someone spoke to him in English, he translated the words into Spanish in his head, and then very quickly mentally translated his response from Spanish to English. Mind you, he did this almost instantaneously and he seemed very fluent. But I guess all that mental processing would wear a brain out!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Welcome to the forums michael lee.

Unless you are into translation, your method won't be much of a problem. But if you tie an English word with its corresponding Chinese word firmly (in your mind, of course), things in your learning process will be much smoother. Unfortunately, I don't thinks it is always possible for every word. You can't always match everything in English with your mother language. Just keep on trying. If one method seems not working then try another one. It is a long process and such a long one includes some backs and forths and as it is for you now, sometimes it comes to a halt. When you see what you have still to learn as a mountain, just take a look back how far you have come so far.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    I had a friend who was an executive at Volkswagen in Mexico, and he spoke very good, almost fluent English. However, at the end of a long day he would confess to me: "I'm getting a headache from speaking in English." He then explained that when someone spoke to him in English, he translated the words into Spanish in his head, and then very quickly mentally translated his response from Spanish to English. Mind you, he did this almost instantaneously and he seemed very fluent. But I guess all that mental processing would wear a brain out!
    Speaking English for a longer period of time tires me too. I speak English at a near-native level, but only when I start speaking. After some time, I start having longer pauses and making mistakes. I think it might be because I do use my native language when I speak English. I certainly don't translate everything, but my brain operates both languages almost all the time. When I can't find the right word, I search for it in both languages simultaneously. I have also noticed that there are two pronunciations of many English words in my head. One that tells me how to say them, and one that tells me how to write them. The latter pronunciation is something that a Polish beginner might utter on seeing an English word. I was unaware of using this until recently.

4. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

thank you all. I decided to continue using this method, before that I am going develop a bit of it to suit myself. Thank you for all the useful tips.