Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 994
    #1

    two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    Hello,

    I'd like to ask some questions regarding two sentences from the Murphy's grammar book.

    1. Most of the earth's surface is covered by water.

    Isn't it more common to use 'with' instead of 'by'?

    2. If there are any unknown words that you don't know, use a dictionary.

    Is it possible to use 'some' instead of 'any' in this example?

    I'd be grateful for any comments.
    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #2

    Re: two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    Hello,

    I'd like to ask some questions regarding two sentences from the Murphy's grammar book.

    1. Most of the earth's surface is covered by water.

    Isn't it more common to use 'with' instead of 'by'?

    2. If there are any unknown words that you don't know, use a dictionary.

    Is it possible to use 'some' instead of 'any' in this example?

    I'd be grateful for any comments.
    Thank you.
    NOT A TEACHER.

    I like "with" better than "by" in the first sentence.

    In the second sentence the author seems to be repeating himself ("unknown words that you don't know"). I wouldn't use "some."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 994
    #3

    Re: two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    I'm sorry, I didn't copy it correctly .

    The original sentence reads

    If you there are any words that you don't know, use a dictionary.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,499
    #4

    Re: two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't copy it correctly .

    The original sentence reads

    If you there are any words that you don't know, use a dictionary.
    You still haven't copied it correctly.

    That's worse than before.

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #5

    Re: two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    Yes, it is possible to use some there. Any sounds more natural to me, though.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 994
    #6

    Re: two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    You still haven't copied it correctly.

    That's worse than before.

    Rover

    I must have had a severe attack of inattention yesterday.
    If there are any words that you don't know, use a dictionary.

    I've never suspected it will ever take me three attempts to copy a sentence.

    Thank you for the replies

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #7

    Re: two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    Once it starts going wrong, it repeats. That's why I recommend not doing a rough draft and copying it up in an exam- it's very hard to spot mistakes like that.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: two sentences from Murphy's grammar

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Yes, it is possible to use some there. Any sounds more natural to me, though.
    The implications of the two words are different.

    'If there are any...' - there may be some; whenever you find one, look it up

    But 'You should proof-read at least twice. If there are any errors, fix them, If, in your second reading, you still find some errors...".

    b

Similar Threads

  1. 3 sentences- grammar
    By lindsaylohan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2011, 11:24
  2. [Grammar] What is the grammar name for these sentences?
    By indonesia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2010, 18:43
  3. [Grammar] Can someone check the grammar of 2 sentences
    By Aapnootmies in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-May-2009, 15:55
  4. [Grammar] Urgent !!! Grammar in the sentences?
    By Voguish_Gal in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2009, 08:19
  5. [Grammar] Grammar in the sentences?
    By Voguish_Gal in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2009, 14:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •