Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    Lay

    "When the solution to a given problem doesn't lay right before our eyes, it is very easy to assume that no solution exists."

    The above sentence is from Freakonomics, a New York Times bestseller. The book is very well written, so I'm going to assume "lay" is correct. But why? I would've written "lie."

    Thanks!

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Lay

    It's incorrect, but many people make that mistake.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #3

    Re: Lay

    It's not. Lie and lay are probably the most mis-used words by native speakers. (If we used affect and effect more often, it could be those as well, since most people mix those up too.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #4

    Re: Lay

    Yes, but we're talking about a book that was written by two authors, one of whom is an editor at The New York Times, and proofread by at least one more person. You wouldn't expect such a mistake.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #5

    Re: Lay

    And yes, it happens.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: Lay

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen165 View Post
    Yes, but we're talking about a book that was written by two authors, one of whom is an editor at The New York Times, and proofread by at least one more person. You wouldn't expect such a mistake.
    As Barb said: yes, it happens.

    If I had a penny for ever misuse I had read or heard of lay/laid by people one would expect to know better, I could affort to eat out more often.

  5. nyota's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 615
    #7

    Re: Lay

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    As Barb said: yes, it happens.

    If I had a penny for ever misuse I had read or heard of lay/laid by people one would expect to know better, I could affort to eat out more often.
    *hides*

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #8

    Re: Lay

    He'd need a fort to keep all that money safe.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #9

    Re: Lay

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen165 View Post
    "When the solution to a given problem doesn't lay right before our eyes, it is very easy to assume that no solution exists."

    The above sentence is from Freakonomics, a New York Times bestseller. The book is very well written, so I'm going to assume "lay" is correct. But why? I would've written "lie."
    I haven't read the book, but jugding from the title, I can't rule out the possibility that the problem they are talking about is a want of eggs.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: Lay

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I haven't read the book, but jugding from the title,
    Having just written of being able to affort something, it is comforting for me to see that I am not the only typo-victim this evening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] lay down
    By FATE91 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2010, 14:23
  2. lay
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-May-2010, 09:27
  3. lay down
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2009, 22:42
  4. lay something up?
    By juliana0403 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Nov-2007, 18:02
  5. Lay
    By hdrao in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2007, 05:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •