Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Dear Teachers,

I am Emil Chalhoub and I have been majoring in English language studies at ELTE in Hungary. I took an exam today that was extremely difficult compared to previous tests. The sad fact is that I scored 26 points, and I need 27 points to pass the exam. Now, I am trying hard to find a point at any cost in order to pass it.
I found a task which I think has an answer that is not obvious. (at least for me)

The task is the following:

The underlined vowel in one of the following words may be syncopated. Which?

1, Pámela

2, vanílla

3, júbilee

4, cólony

My answer was the third one, jubilee; however, the professor told me that it was the first one. Why? Could we somehow explain it in such a way that the third one could be the answer too?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Emil Chalhoub

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have to admit that I didn't actually know what a syncopated vowel was, but I had a quick read-up on it. If I'm reading it correctly, it's where a vowel can be unpronounced given certain criteria. If that's the case, then "Pamela" would indeed fit that description.

It is quite frequently pronounced "Pamla", certainly in the part of the UK where I live.

If I have completely misunderstood the point, then apologies.

eechalhoub

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Firstly, thank you for you quick response. I think you got it right. After having taken the fact into consideration that Pamela can be pronounced "Pamla", can't we pronounce jubilee "joob-lee"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Firstly, thank you for you quick response. I think you got it right. After having taken the fact into consideration that Pamela can be pronounced "Pamla", can't we pronounce jubilee "joob-lee"?

Phew! Glad I got the point!

I would say no to missing a syllable out of "jubilee".

eechalhoub

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Thank you very much, you helped me a lot.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
emsr2d2 is not alone in his ignorance; I had not come across the term 'syncopated vowel' before I read your post.

I give 'Pamela' three syllables, though I accept that the second is weak. A pronunciation with two syllables does not sound too strange to me. I suspect that this is because the /m/ can be prolonged, allowing the semblance of a third syllable. The /b/ of jubilee, however, cannot be prolonged. Whilst I am sure that some people do pronounce 'jubilee' with two syllables, I think that this is far less common than a syncopated 'Pamela'.

Status
Not open for further replies.