Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

Is 'stand somebody up' just used for dating and when talking about the opposite sex? Any other phrasal verb meaning the same?

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there,

Is 'stand somebody up' just used for dating and when talking about the opposite sex? Any other phrasal verb meaning the same?

Thanks!

I guess it's possible to use it to refer to just another person not turning up for a pre-arranged meeting, but it is certainly more usual that it's used in the dating sense.

However, it would not only be used to refer to the opposite sex. Both heterosexual and homosexual people date, so any instance of the person you have arranged to meet for a date not turning up would be referred to as being stood up, regardless of your or their gender.

I can't think of another phrasal verb that means exactly the same thing.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I guess it's possible to use it to refer to just another person not turning up for a pre-arranged meeting, but it is certainly more usual that it's used in the dating sense.

However, it would not only be used to refer to the opposite sex. Both heterosexual and homosexual people date, so any instance of the person you have arranged to meet for a date not turning up would be referred to as being stood up, regardless of your or their gender.

I can't think of another phrasal verb that means exactly the same thing.

Many thanks. Indeed, the moment I was writing the question I wasn't thinking of homosexuals, and by the same sex I meant a normal appointment with anyone possible. I just thought there might be other more general terms referring to such situations.

Cheers! :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
NOT A TEACHER.

Yes, "blow off."

Interesting. This is used in BrE but if you say "He blew me off" in relation to a date or a meeting, it means that the person called/texted/emailed you and postponed the meeting, whereas if you're stood up, it usually means you have been left waiting by your date with no contact at all. Is that not the case in Canada?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And, isn't that supposed to be 'he blew me out'?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Actually, both. "Blow someone out" and "blow someone off".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, you might blow off a party or other event by simply not going. The phrase with "out" isn't used at all.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Interesting. This is used in BrE but if you say "He blew me off" in relation to a date or a meeting, it means that the person called/texted/emailed you and postponed the meeting, whereas if you're stood up, it usually means you have been left waiting by your date with no contact at all. Is that not the case in Canada?

To my knowledge, "blow someone off" means to not show up to an arranged meeting, which can be a date. But it's very colloquial.

Status
Not open for further replies.