English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello!

I was just wondering whether I have put the following pieces of vocab under the correct heading........

Compare (show similarities): Contrast(show differences):

as well as different from/to (poss. mention than)
at the same time unlike
both whereas
like however
same as on the other hand
similar to but
similarly yet
also faster, bigger, better (i.e. comparatives)
too

I know I have put comparatives in the contrasting words column but if I say, for example, "Jack is taller than John", I am showing the difference between them in height rather than the similarity, right???
How do I explain to students that comparatives belong in the contrast column (if this is in fact correct)?!!

Many thanks :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The problem for me is the use of the word compare as only for showing the similarities- when you compare things, you can observe both the similarities and differences, so can you change the headings?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The problem for me is the use of the word compare as only for showing the similarities- when you compare things, you can observe both the similarities and differences, so can you change the headings?
I've had that problem since primary school. But apparently that's what "compare" means in "Compare and contrast" essays and exercises. Perhaps this is an example of a redundancy that's come about from not knowing whether "compare" carries both functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.