Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Hello teachers, can you please tell me, does an expression "nifty haircut" sound weird and wrong to an English native speaker? I just tried to complement an American girl on her new hairdo and said, "What a nifty haircut" but she told me it was weird phrase to hear for her. Saying "nifty" I was thinking "stylish, cool".
Was she right that it doesn't sound right or it's just her vocabulary is pretty small?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello teachers, can you please tell me, does an expression "nifty haircut" sound weird and wrong to an English native speaker? I just tried to complement an American girl on her new hairdo and said, "What a nifty haircut" but she told me it was weird phrase to hear for her. Saying "nifty" I was thinking "stylish, cool".
Was she right that it doesn't sound right or it's just her vocabulary is pretty small?

It sounds fine to me and I'd have understood exactly what you meant. I am a BrE speaker though and you were speaking to an American girl. Maybe it's not so common in AmE?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've heard Americans use "nifty" but none of them was a youth.

Dready

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Thanks for clearing that for me. I just saw one tattoo master saying, "This tattoo looks nifty" to a client on an American show the other day. That's why I thought that phrase was OK to use in such cases.

P.S. And yes, the tattoo master was a lady in her 40s. Maybe young people don't use it that much.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still occasionally use "nifty", but I'm getting on in years and also yell at those young whippersnapper kids to get off of my lawn. ;-) Other somewhat dated phrases that mean "nifty" are "keen" and "neat" (or "neato"). People usually picture clean-cut kids from a 1950s-era TV show when they hear these words. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
P.S. And yes, the tattoo master was a lady in her 40s. Maybe young people don't use it that much.

I'm going to overlook that suggestion that someone in their 40s can't be young! ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still occasionally use "nifty", but I'm getting on in years and also yell at those young whippersnapper kids to get off of my lawn. ;-) Other somewhat dated phrases that mean "nifty" are "keen" and "neat" (or "neato"). People usually picture clean-cut kids from a 1950s-era TV show when they hear these words. :)

That's just swell. ;-)

Dready

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
I'm going to overlook that suggestion that someone in their 40s can't be young! ;-)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. It's not really about age, it's about how one feels. ;-)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It sounds a bit odd to me. Here, nifty has overtones of clever, like sharp, but more so. Of course, it isn't wrong, but to me, it does sound a tad strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.