Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Steve Harris starts talking first about the inspiration behind calling the band 'Iron Maiden'.

"Did you ever see the film 'The Man In The Iron Mask'?" He asks. "Well I saw it on television and that's when the name first occurred to me. Although strictly speaking I believe an ACTUAL 'Iron Maiden' is an altogether more vicious torture device ... you know, it's a metal case with these nails set inside of it and if you fasten it over someone's head they get kind of spiked. Very unpleasant."

In this text, the word "ACTUAL" means:

A) Real, Genuine
B) Current, existing at the present time

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Steve Harris starts talking first about the inspiration behind calling the band 'Iron Maiden'.

"Did you ever see the film 'The Man In The Iron Mask'?" He asks. "Well I saw it on television and that's when the name first occurred to me. Although strictly speaking I believe an ACTUAL 'Iron Maiden' is an altogether more vicious torture device ... you know, it's a metal case with these nails set inside of it and if you fasten it over someone's head they get kind of spiked. Very unpleasant."

A) Real, Genuine

Which answer do you think is correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know, I am beginner in English language. I saw the word "actual" has these two meanings, in this site:

actual - definition of actual by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

So what the right choice?

Even though you are a beginner, it is important to try and work out the answer to a question yourself first. The two definitions that you have are correct. Which one of them do you think makes more sense? Please try to answer first. After you have done that, we will comment and give our opinion and explanation. :-D

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

A) Real, Genuine

It's A. Actually does not, in English have the French/Portuguese meaning of "currently" or right now. Or rather, it is rarely used in that way.

BRENOIRONMAIDEN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Well, konungurvia answered "a". Ithink "a" makes more sense, but I'm not sure.

BRENOIRONMAIDEN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
emsr2d2, I think "a" makes more sense. Can you explain? thanks

BRENOIRONMAIDEN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
but I did not understand his explanation. Can someone explain to me in a better way? thanks

Michael84

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
but I did not understand his explanation. Can someone explain to me in a better way? thanks
not a teacher

He said that the word "actual" is often confused with "current" by speakers of your native language. This is not the meaning it has in English.
This is why A is the correct answer.

P.S.: Many Germans also confuse "actual" with "current"/"existing at the present time", because it sounds similar to the German word "aktuell".

Last edited:

BRENOIRONMAIDEN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
ok, but in many dictionaries, we can see that "actual" also means "current" or "existing at the present time". In the case of quoted text (about the name "iron maiden"), the most appropriate meaning for the word "actual" is "real" and "genuine"?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Really, the dictionary is not a good guide to frequency. No one uses "actual" in English except when they mean "factual" or "in fact"; the idea of current is only occasionally used, I'd say rarely, and it is imported from French. We very often say "current" and "currently" but when we say actual or actually, it means something factually true despite a lack of certainty, and relates to perceptions of probability, not time.

Status
Not open for further replies.