• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

he`s struggling hard to keep our head above the water

Could you please help me with this part of a student's story I am grading right now. Here is what got me stumped:

- Can imagine what the newly appointed manager has inherited. How is he dealing with the situation?
    - Of course, he`s struggling hard to keep our head above the water to win the customers`credibility back.

I can't accept "he is struggling hard". Just "struggling" is enough. Then, can "keeping our heads above the water" help win the customers' credibility back? Does the sentence make sense?

Thank you for the time and help.

And here are the replies I received from people interested in English:
    "Can imagine what the newly appointed manager has inherited." is not a complete sentence.

"struggling hard" is OK in my opinion.

The agreement among "he's struggling hard to keep our head above the water" does not seem quite right. I think at minimum "head" should be "heads".

The combination "struggling hard to keep our head above the water to win..." seems a little awkward. I would change the second "to" to "and".

"win the customers' credibility back" does not make any sense to me in this context. I imagine "credibility" is a mistake for "trust" or similar. Stylistically I prefer "win back the customers' ...".

The character ` is incorrectly used as an apostrophe.

Hi Dozy,
    With all respect, I doubt if the "credibility" was wrong in the context. Have a look:
    to gain/lack/lose credibility "More than half of new businesses fail within five years, and many of those that endure can’t seem to bridge the gulf between “just surviving” and true success. If you want to beat the odds, then your business will need Winning Credibility."
    Testimonial Examples – A Great Way To Gain Credibility- Brian D. McEvoy.
    Building Credibility with Customers and Stakeholders
    Requested by: American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
    After the recent scandal, the government has lost all credibility.
    Newspapers were talking of a credibility gap between what he said and what he did.
    capacity for belief <strains her reader's credibility — Times Literary Supplement>
    Just in the interests of impartiality.
    Regards.

As I read it, "customers' credibility" means the trustworthiness of customers, whereas the author presumably meant the trustworthiness of the business, or, conversely, the trust of the customers. That was the reason for my original (not very well explained!) comment.

Looking again, though, I'm wondering if "credibility" might be possible in the "capacity for belief" sense that you mention. That meaning is more "the right way round", but "win back the customers' credibility" as a way of saying "win back the customers' trust" still seems odd to me. I guess I could be wrong ... any more opinions?

As you see, my post transformed into "trust vs credibility". What is your opinion? I only hope I am not breaking the rules of the forum by posting opinions of the people not registered on this one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Re: he`s struggling hard to keep our head above the water

Thank you ever so much.