Is there a difference between RP /ai/ and regional /ai/?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordJenkins

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
Hi guys, ive been trying to neutralise my accent over the last year or so. I am almost there, but some vowel sounds are just not working for me.

I am from Manchester in England, and as most of you will know, we speak flat vowels, and this is hindering me quite a bit.

If I were to say the word Sky, it would sound like SkEYE. Very common. Flat sounding, no diphthong /ai/. If i were to use this diphthong, it would sound like skAHH-EYE, right?

Ive watched old films, where RP was the norm, and the /ai/ vowel, was very crisp, and clear. Do you guys know what I mean lol?

Basically I want to pronounce /ai/ the RP way, and I would like to know how I would articulate it. Mouth shape, tongue position etc...

I am also struggling with tripthongs. I need some help on how to articulate words like Fire, hour etc...

One last thing im struggling with, and thats /ae/. I want to pronounce it the correct RP way. As you can imagine, up North, we use /a/ not /ae/, so words like Cat, sound very common, Can you help me with articlating this vowel too?

Thank you :)

Jay

Last edited:

LordJenkins

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK