Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

Are these phrases usual in English: "recovered vaccinal diseases" and "personal record of vaccinations performed"?

Thanks,
Joe

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Are these phrases usual in English: "recovered vaccinal diseases" and "personal record of vaccinations performed"?

Thanks,
Joe

I don't work in the field of medicine, but the first sounds very unnatural to me. The second is probably fine if you are talking about the person who actually gave the vaccination to another person (probably a nurse or a doctor), but not if you're talking about the person who was vaccinated.

"Vaccinations performed" would refer to how many people you had injected with a vaccine.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

Thanks,
Joe
No, the first is not used. What does it mean?
If a child has had measles, for example, that would appear under the heading of Past Medical History. That wouldn't normally go on an adult's record though, unless there were persistent complications.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Recovered vaccinal diseases" is not standard English terminology. What exactly are you trying to say? Are you describing someone who was never vaccinated but has a natural immunity to, say, measles because they had the disease and recovered from it?

In AmE "personal record of vaccinations performed" would be understood, but it is not natural speech and sounds very awkward. When such information is requested (for example, you are enrolling your child into a school and they want proof that he has been vaccinated against certain diseases) the usual phraseology is to simply ask for a "vaccination record" or "immunization record".

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your replies.

Is "vaccination record" usual in BE?

However, here are the explanations of two phrases from the first post:

1) "recovered vaccinal diseases" - diseases which child has overcome since birth (for example Rubella, Mumps, etc.)
2) "personal record of vaccinations performed" - a record of all vaccinations since child's birth

Last edited:

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I would appreciate if somebody could tell me what are usual expressions for 1. and 2.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no idea about the first or if there is even a standard phrase. I'm actually not sure I even know what you meant in the first place.

For the second, as long as we are definitely talking about a record of the vaccinations that a person has received (illnesses a person has been vaccinated against), then I believe it's a [Personal] Vaccination Record or [Personal] Vaccination History.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your replies.

Is "vaccination record" usual in BE?

However, here are the explanations of two phrases from the first post:

1) "recovered vaccinal diseases" - diseases which child has overcome since birth (for example Rubella, Mumps, etc.)

There really isn't a standard phrase for this; medically speaking, ailments like measles and chicken pox (where a person tends to get them only once in his lifetime) are called specific immunity diseases. The body builds up the same immunity by suffering and then recovering from the disease as he would by getting the vaccine for it. But this is a term only a doctor or medical researcher would regularly use.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have no idea about the first or if there is even a standard phrase. I'm actually not sure I even know what you meant in the first place.

For the second, as long as we are definitely talking about a record of the vaccinations that a person has received (illnesses a person has been vaccinated against), then I believe it's a [Personal] Vaccination Record or [Personal] Vaccination History.

Thanks.

I need both standard phrases, so I have to explain the first one:

- The list of vaccinal diseases/illnesses (vaccinal disease - the one you can be vaccinated against) which child has had since birth; if such standard phrase does not exist, is this formulation ok (italic part)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks.

I need both standard phrases, so I have to explain the first one:

- The list of vaccinal diseases/illnesses (vaccinal disease - the one you can be vaccinated against) which child has had since birth; if such standard phrase does not exist, is this formulation ok (italic part)?

I'm still a bit confused by "vaccinal diseases". Are we sure that that means "diseases you can be vaccinated against"?

These are the definitions I found for "vaccinal" and I'm not sure they really fit with what you're trying to say. I'm wondering if "vaccinatable" might not be a better word.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I suppose that phrase (vaccinal diseases) does not exist in English, and if so I can use an explanation of what does the term "vaccinal diseases" mean.

I suggest you to not consider the phrase above (vaccinal diseases) as one given - I need 2-3 word standard phrase (if it exists) for this: diseases you can be vaccinated against which child had since birth.

Could I use the italic explanation (exactly, that's the explanation of the supposed phrase "vaccinal diseases")? I mean, would it be understandable for an UK doctor (and again, if there isn't standard phrase which I would use instead of the italic part?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I suppose that phrase (vaccinal diseases) does not exist in English, and if so I can use an explanation of what does the term "vaccinal diseases" mean.

I suggest you to not consider the phrase above (vaccinal diseases) as one given - I need 2-3 word standard phrase (if it exists) for this: diseases you can be vaccinated against which child had since birth.

Could I use the italic explanation (exactly, that's the explanation of the supposed phrase "vaccinal diseases")? I mean, would it be understandable for an UK doctor (and again, if there isn't standard phrase which I would use instead of the italic part?

When you say "which a child had since birth", do you mean the actual disease? A disease which a specific child has had since birth which it could have been vaccinated against if it did not already have the disease?

Sorry about all the questions but it's difficult to come up with any suggestions if we don't understand exactly what you're looking for. ;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
When you say "which a child had since birth", do you mean the actual disease? A disease which a specific child has had since birth which it could have been vaccinated against if it did not already have the disease?

Sorry about all the questions but it's difficult to come up with any suggestions if we don't understand exactly what you're looking for. ;-)
Yes, that's what he wants.
There is no such term in Australian medicine. I don't know about other English-speaking countries.
"Past vaccinatable/immunizable illnesses" maybe?

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

The focus is not on whether a child has or has not been vaccinated against a specific disease. The focus is on the list of diseases which child has had since birth, and those diseases are characterized by possible prevention if a child is vaccinated against.

See this please:

*the phrase*:

- Varicella / Yes or No / date
- Mumps / Yes or No / date

That standard phrase would be the title for the list above.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, that's what he wants.
There is no such term in Australian medicine. I don't know about other English-speaking countries.
"Past vaccinatable/immunizable illnesses" maybe?

This sounds like a possible one - it does not have to be absolutely standard - I need 2-3 -word phrase (to avoid writing a 10-word explanation of meaning of that phrase).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think I realise now where part of my confusion stemmed from.

When I said "a disease a child has had since birth", I meant something that they were born with and continued to suffer from (like cerebral palsy).

I realise now that you meant any illness which the child has suffered from at any time during its life, since it was born (ie mumps, measles etc).

Incidences of vaccinatable diseases?

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think I realise now where part of my confusion stemmed from.

When I said "a disease a child has had since birth", I meant something that they were born with and continued to suffer from (like cerebral palsy).

I realise now that you meant any illness which the child has suffered from at any time during its life, since it was born (ie mumps, measles etc).

Incidences of vaccinatable diseases?

Finally! :-D :up:

We don't care if a child has had such diseases 4 or 20 times during its life.
If you can't think of a standard one at the moment, you can "think up" one (fitting the connotations above-mentioned) yourself.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Finally! :-D :up:

We don't care if a child has had such diseases 4 or 20 times during its life.
If you can't think of a standard one at the moment, you can "think up" one (fitting the connotations above-mentioned) yourself.
More guessing games?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It took me 2 days and 2 pages of posts to come up with "Incidences of Vaccinatable Diseases". Now you want me to think up another one?!

I think I'll fold this hand and let someone else take the pot. :-D

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
My suggestions:

Preventable Diseases

or

Childhood Diseases. (if this is a medical facility, surely any reader of the medical record would know whether the illness is one for which there is a vaccine.)

Status
Not open for further replies.