The injured were(was) taken to the hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My grammar book says only "were" is correct in this sentence, it seems to argue because "the+adjective" represents a collective noun, it should denote a plural. But depending on the context, it could be singular or plural, right?
How can you tell other cases like "the old, the young, the poor, the rich"? They never become singular in any case.

ex)The injured were(was) taken to the hospital.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In pretty much every case, saying "the injured" will refer to more than one person being injured in some kind of accident.

A bus crashed on the motorway today. The injured were taken to a local hospital.

A bus crashed on the motorway today. One person was slightly injured and was taken to hospital.

One person is never referred to as "the injured", he/she would always be called "the injured man/woman/child" etc.

Don't ask me why. It just is!

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I'm in total agreement with emsr, but I just wanted to mention a difference between BrE and AmE. Note that in BrE the definite article is not used in front of hospital, whereas in AmE we always use the, whether or not we know which hospital it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.