Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I would like to know the meaning of the above expression in the following context:

"Hey, my mom was fat. I guess I just got dealt a bad hand. There's nothing I can do about it."

Thanks a lot.

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would like to know the meaning of the above expression in the following context:

"Hey, my mom was fat. I guess I just got dealt a bad hand. There's nothing I can do about it."

Thanks a lot.

Not a teacher only a native.

If you get 'dealt a bad hand' it means you find yourself in unfavourable circumstances due to something you can't control. Hence, the person saying, 'there's nothing I can do about it'.

The person seems resentful that they have an overweight mother. Perhaps the speaker is overweight and is blaming this on genetics (which they got from their mother). However without further context I can't be certain.

Last edited:

Deepurple

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks shroob. Your speculation is absolutely right.;-)

Michael84

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
not a teacher

This is an expression from Poker where you are randomly dealt two cards (for most variants). If you are dealt a bad hand like 7/2 - in opposition to the best starting hand which is aces (A/A) - there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. That is just bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.