[Grammar] looting or desecration of religious buildings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
"Have you ever witnessed or participated in ill treatment of prisoners or civilians, looting or desecration of religious buildings?"

In the sentence above, does "looting" get hooked up with "of religious buildings" or stand on it own?

thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's ambiguous, rainous.

A comma after looting would isolate it, but as it stands it's not clear.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Have you ever witnessed or participated in ill treatment of prisoners or civilians, looting or desecration of religious buildings?"

In the sentence above, does "looting" get hooked up with "of religious buildings" or stand on it own?

thanks.
I would say that 'looting' stands alone.
If 'looting or desecration of religious buildings" was meant, the sentence is not grammatical. It would have to read like this:
"Have you ever witnessed or participated in ill treatment of prisoners or civilians, or looting or desecration of religious buildings?"
That is, "Have you ever seen A or B". The original sentence reads "Have you ever witnessed A, B" (if you assume that 'looting' belongs with 'desecration').
This is a good example of the need to use serial commas sometimes, and I believe, of the advisability of always using them.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I would say that 'looting' stands alone.
If 'looting or desecration of religious buildings" was meant, the sentence is not grammatical. It would have to read like this:
"Have you ever witnessed or participated in ill treatment of prisoners or civilians, or looting or desecration of religious buildings?"
That is, "Have you ever seen A or B". The original sentence reads "Have you ever witnessed A, B" (if you assume that 'looting' belongs with 'desecration').
This is a good example of the need to use serial commas sometimes, and I believe, of the advisability of always using them.
It's from the application form for immigration to Canada, and it's written exactly as above.;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's from the application form for immigration to Canada, and it's written exactly as above.;-)
Yes, that's OK. Assuming that they've written what is meant, they are interested in three separate things; and they haven't used a serial comma, thus making it ambiguous to some.
I wasn't saying it's wrong. But it is wrong if they meant "[looting or desecration] of religious buildings."
If they mean [looting] or [desecration of religious buildings], it's right.

That's what the original question was asking.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I suspect a runaway grammar-checker, or maybe a self-styled 'stylist' (who thought that having to 'or's was something to avoid). ;-)

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I suspect a runaway grammar-checker, or maybe a self-styled 'stylist' (who thought that having to 'or's was something to avoid). ;-)

b
I don't know. Do Canadians use the Oxford comma? If not, then it's correct.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Regardless of comma usage, I think you should say "no" if you want to be let in.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

If the serial comma had a fan page on Facebook, I'd "like" it!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Regardless of comma usage, I think you should say "no" if you want to be let in.
This is an interesting question from the US visa application form, best to answer "no" here as well I think.
  • Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide? Have you ever participated in, ordered, or engaged in genocide, torture, or extrajudicial killings?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an interesting question from the US visa application form, best to answer "no" here as well I think.
  • Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide? Have you ever participated in, ordered, or engaged in genocide, torture, or extrajudicial killings?

I've always wondered what special kind of idiot it would take to answer "Yes" to that question.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've always wondered what special kind of idiot it would take to answer "Yes" to that question.
I recently transported some furniture from my house in France to England. At the ferry port the French custome officer asked me, "Do you have any drugs, arms, or explosives in your vehicle?";-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those types of questions are not designed to elicit honest answers, they are designed to create perjury charges. So if you are caught here engaging in terrorism, they can also charge you with perjury.

There are similar questions on the federal forms filled out when purchasing a firearm. Are you a convicted felon? Have you been committed to a mental institution?, etc.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I recently transported some furniture from my house in France to England. At the ferry port the French custome officer asked me, "Do you have any drugs, arms, or explosives in your vehicle?";-)

You should have said yes to "arms" then. Assuming you had either a sofa, an armchair or some dining chairs!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Those types of questions are not designed to elicit honest answers, they are designed to create perjury charges. So if you are caught here engaging in terrorism, they can also charge you with perjury.

There are similar questions on the federal forms filled out when purchasing a firearm. Are you a convicted felon? Have you been committed to a mental institution?, etc.

The reason for them is clear but I would love to know if anyone has ever been stupid enough to answer "Yes".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You should have said yes to "arms" then. Assuming you had either a sofa, an armchair or some dining chairs!
Yes, but he was speaking French. In French "arm" (weapon) is "arme" and "arm" (limb) is "bras":)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, but he was speaking French. In French "arm" (weapon) is "arme" and "arm" (limb) is "bras":)

I know! Maybe to confuse the issue (if there was a woman and some clothing in the car) you should have said you had some bras too!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Some stand-up - it may have been Rich Hall - answered 'For that express purpose', and was strip-searched for his pains.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.