Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #1

    For/of

    Hello,
    Could you please tell me if the use of "for" in this extract is correct.I think "of" is better than "for" in this context.
    Reading is like providing the mind with nourishment. Knowledge is the food for the mind and soul. Apart from giving us the basic information about the world around us, it also provides us with the food for thought. It encourages us to think. It increases our hunger for knowledge and our thirst to learn more.
    Thank you in advance.

  1. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #2

    Thumbs up Re: For/of

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    Hello,
    Could you please tell me if the use of "for" in this extract is correct.I think "of" is better than "for" in this context.

    Thank you in advance.
    For is absolutely fine here. It will sound awkward if you change it to of.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #3

    Re: For/of

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawood Usmani View Post
    For is absolutely fine here. It will sound awkward if you change it to of.
    Ok, thank you very much. Really I still have problems with prepositions.

    It will sound awkward if you change it to of.Why?
    Regards,

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,487
    #4

    Re: For/of

    Food for thought is a set phrase. By extension, food for the mind and soul sounds natural.

    You also need to delete the before food (both times) and before basic information.

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #5

    Re: For/of

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    Hello,
    Could you please tell me if the use of "for" in this extract is correct.I think "of" is better than "for" in this context.

    Thank you in advance.
    "For" is correct. But you don't need the "the" before "food." Or "basic."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #6

    Re: For/of

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Food for thought is a set phrase. By extension, food for the mind and soul sounds natural.

    You also need to delete the before food (both times) and before basic information.

    Rover
    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    "For" is correct. But you don't need the "the" before "food." Or "basic."

    Thanks to all of you, but is it something intuitive? because I often have problems with preposition.

    Best wishes,

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #7

    Re: For/of

    Prepositions are difficult. There are differences between AmE and BrE and other regional variations, too. I wait in line. Some people wait on line.

  2. Offroad's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 2,817
    #8

    Re: For/of

    Prepositions are like Chuck Norris. You don't get to him. He gets to you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #9

    Re: For/of

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Prepositions are difficult. There are differences between AmE and BrE and other regional variations, too. I wait in line. Some people wait on line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad View Post
    Prepositions are like Chuck Norris / I have searched in Wikipedia to know who is Chuck Norris/ . You don't get to him. He gets to you.
    Okay, thank you very much.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •