• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

philosophies of life, customs, cultures

Such an age acquires its significance through the fact that in it the various different philosophies of life, customs, cultures can be compared and experienced side by side; [...].

If I understand it right what the author meant was:
    ...philosophies of life, philosophies of customs, philosophies of cultures...

But what if I wanted to convey this meaning:
    ...in it the various different philosophies of life;the various different customs, cultures...
    1. How could I do this?
    2. In such constructions as philosophies of life, customs, cultures does it always mean that the word philosophies is related not only to life, but also to customs and cultures?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: philosophies of life, customs, cultures

Such an age acquires its significance through the fact that in it the various customs, cultures and different philosophies oflife can be compared and experienced side by side; [...].

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    Such an age acquires its significance through the fact that in it the various different philosophies of life, customs, cultures can be compared and experienced side by side; [...].

If I understand it right what the author meant was:
    ...philosophies of life, philosophies of customs, philosophies of cultures...

But what if I wanted to convey this meaning:
    ...in it the various different philosophies of life;the various different customs, cultures...
    1. How could I do this?
    2. In such constructions as philosophies of life, customs, cultures does it always mean that the word philosophies is related not only to life, but also to customs and cultures?

Thanks.
    I would not interpret this the way you have.
    Having a "philosophy of life" is normal. Having a "philosophy of customs or cultures" would be quite unusual.
    "Philosophy of life" is a common English collocation, but the others aren't.
    I'm almost certain that the author means "customs, cultures, and philosophies of life".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Does it mean that this construction can be viewed differently according to the context?

For example:
    1. "The origin of religion, art and morality..." can be interpreted as "the origin of religion, the origin of art and the origin of morality...".
    2. But (taking into consideration that the structure "philosophies of life, customs, cultures" means "customs, cultures, and philosophies of life") it can be interpreted as (provided suitable context exists) "the art, morality and the origin of religion..." as well.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by suprunp View Post
    Does it mean that this construction can be viewed differently according to the context?
    Yes, the meaning often depends on the context.

For example:
    1. "The origin of religion, art and morality..." can be interpreted as "the origin of religion, the origin of art and the origin of morality...".
    2. But (taking into consideration that the structure "philosophies of life, customs, cultures" means "customs, cultures, and philosophies of life") it can be interpreted as (provided suitable context exists) "the art, morality and the origin of religion..." as well.

Thanks.
    That's right. It's grammatically ambiguous, so the context is needed to work out the meaning. This means it's more or less a guess.

3. "The origin of religion, art, and morality is lost in the mist of prehistory."
    This has to mean the origin of all three, because art and morality are not lost - only their origins are.