Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of "miserable sod"?

The context is British and the Sentence is:

"They'll have [FONT=&quot]Hopkins and Jones and Grant; miserable sod. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Now, who have we got on our side?"

I don't know what "miserable sod" refers to? They are speaking about 3 people and "sod" is singular. That is confusing.

** Before it was a semi colon.
[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dear all,

The context is British and the Sentence is:

"They'll have [FONT=&quot]Hopkins and Jones and Grant; miserable sod. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Now, who have we got on our side?"

I don't know what "miserable sod" refers to? They are speaking about 3 people and "sod" is singular. That is confusing.

** Before it was a semi colon.
[/FONT]
I assume that the semi-colon should be a comma, and that it is Grant who is the miserable sod. A miserable sod is a curmudgeonly, misanthropic, tight-fisted person. Generally speaking, it is not considered to be a complimentary term. However, I feel that this is due to a misunderstanding - I am sure that the vast number of people who apply it to me must prove that it is, in fact, complimentary. If you disagree with that opinion, you are an uneducated, ignorant peasant.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I assume that the semi-colon should be a comma, and that it is Grant who is the miserable sod. A miserable sod is a curmudgeonly, misanthropic, tight-fisted person. Generally speaking, it is not considered to be a complimentary term. However, I feel that this is due to a misunderstanding - I am sure that the vast number of people who apply it to me must prove that it is, in fact, complimentary. If you disagree with that opinion, you are an uneducated, ignorant peasant.
:lol:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So nice of Fivejedjon to take time out from chasing small children out of his front garden and calling the police whenever his neighbors flush the toilet too loudly to post an answer to this question. :lol: ;-)

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt

I couldn't get the rest of what you have said :oops:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) The posters have explained what it means nowadays.

(2) But shouldn't learners know its origin? That "sod" is

short for "sodomite," i.e., a gay person (the term we use

today). Back in those days, it was assumed that a sodomite

led a miserable life. I have read that in England some people would

often assume that older gay men would commit suicide.

(3) I apologize for injecting a somber note into what was a

delightful and lighthearted exchange. I will understand it if a

moderator decides to delete my post, but I feel that we have a

duty to alert learners to potentially dangerous terms that should be

avoided until they become fluent. I believe that some learners of

certain cultures would never use this term if they knew its historical

background.

James

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
... shouldn't learners know its origin? That "sod" is short for "sodomite," i.e., a gay person (the term we use today). [...]

I apologize for injecting a somber note into what was a delightful and lighthearted exchange. I will understand it if a moderator decides to delete my post, but I feel that we have a duty to alert learners to potentially dangerous terms that should be avoided until they become fluent. I believe that some learners of certain cultures would never use this term if they knew its historical background.
If we worried about what words originally meant, we would not dare open our mouths; glamour and grammar are, etymologically, variants of the same word. It is possible that quaint comes from the same root as c**t.

I would agree with TheParser if he were saying that learners should avoid using slang, and possibly offensive, words unless they are sure of how native speakers use them. However, learners should not worry unduly about the historical background of words. Many native speakers use, informally, with friends, such words as sod and bugger with little idea of the historical background of the words.

To most native speakers (of BrE at least), sod has no more connection with sodomite than nice has with fine, subtle,

Status
Not open for further replies.