Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 307
    #1

    Of which

    Please, check if the following sentence is correct. Thanks!

    Since 2006, they have transferred to the organization about 40 thousands missiles of which most of production but part of production.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,921
    #2

    Re: Of which

    Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    Please, check if the following sentence is correct. Thanks!

    Since 2006, they have transferred to the organization about 40 thousands missiles of which most of production but part of production.
    Since 2006, they have transferred about 40 thousand missiles to the organisation ... (after that I have no idea what your sentence means!)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 307
    #3

    Re: Of which

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Since 2006, they have transferred about 40 thousand missiles to the organisation ... (after that I have no idea what your sentence means!)
    Could you tell me what is the rule for using thousand or thousands?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 307
    #4

    Re: Of which

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Since 2006, they have transferred about 40 thousand missiles to the organisation ... (after that I have no idea what your sentence means!)
    I meant that most of the missiles of x production and the rest of y production.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,921
    #5

    Re: Of which

    We actually very rarely say "thousands" when it's part of an actual number.

    There are twenty thousand people here.
    There are thousands of people here.

    Two thousand cats are run over each year.
    Thousands of cats are run over each year.

    There are one hundred thousand types of insect in Africa.
    I like hundreds and thousands on my fairy cakes!

    Note: Hundreds and thousands are those strange little multi-coloured bits of hard sugar that are sprinkled on the top of small cakes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 307
    #6

    Re: Of which

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We actually very rarely say "thousands" when it's part of an actual number.

    There are twenty thousand people here.
    There are thousands of people here.

    Two thousand cats are run over each year.
    Thousands of cats are run over each year.

    There are one hundred thousand types of insect in Africa.
    I like hundreds and thousands on my fairy cakes!

    Note: Hundreds and thousands are those strange little multi-coloured bits of hard sugar that are sprinkled on the top of small cakes.
    OK. Thank you. And what about the rest of my sentence?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •