Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello Teachers,

Do I need to make an explanation sentence before using pack it in? Can it be used with some gerund structure like pack ...ing in?

Thanks in advance

Onur

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello Teachers,

Do I need to make an explanation sentence before using pack it in? Can it be used with some gerund structure like pack ...ing in?

Thanks in advance

Onur

Although I am familiar with the expression "pack it in", I'm not sure I understand your question. A complete sentence would help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you mean can you say something like "I think you should pack smoking in" to mean "I think you should stop/quit smoking" then yes. However, I would personally say "I think you should pack in smoking" (note the word order).

If that's not what you meant then ... I don't know what you meant!

onurediperu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Children were making noise and I couldn't concentrate on my study. I told them pack it in.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Children were making noise and I couldn't concentrate on my study. I told them to pack it in.

This usage is correct with "to" -- I have never heard of the usage "pack in something" as was suggested by the other poster.

Not a teacher -- AmE native

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Children were making noise and I couldn't concentrate on my study. I told them pack it in.

That's fine, though needs "to" added as the previous poster said. "I told them to pack it in". That's something my dad used to use a lot when I was a child. Perhaps it's particularly BrE.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's fine, though needs "to" added as the previous poster said. "I told them to pack it in". That's something my dad used to use a lot when I was a child. Perhaps it's particularly BrE.

The term is used in AmE too and, yes, it needs "to" unless you would be quoting actually what the person said as in "What did dad say? He said, 'pack it in' ".

Last edited:

onurediperu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you all for your concern

at least now I can easily understand if a person make a sentence with this structure...

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.