Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2011
    • Posts: 9
    #1

    Smile Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    In Lewis Carroll's poem, "Jabberwocky," I have a few questions about literary terms.

    1. In line 13, what kind of word is, 'uffish'? Is it an adjective or adverb or...?
    "And, as in uffish thought he stood..."

    2. In line 20, "He went galumphing back," is the nonsense word 'galumphing' an adverb or participial adjective?

    Thanks!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 283
    #2

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ELTer View Post
    In Lewis Carroll's poem, "Jabberwocky," I have a few questions about literary terms.

    1. In line 13, what kind of word is, 'uffish'? Is it an adjective or adverb or...?
    "And, as in uffish thought he stood..."

    According to wikipeida, Lewis Caroll said the following about the word, 'uffish':
    "It seemed to suggest a state of mind when the voice is gruffish, the manner roughish, and the temper huffish".
    Given this, I would say that the word is a verb adjective.

    2. In line 20, "He went galumphing back," is the nonsense word 'galumphing' an adverb or participial adjective?

    'Galumphing', is according to wikipeida, an old English word that is in the Oxford Dictionary. The word means galloping in a triumphant manner. Webster's dictionary says that Galumphing means, 'to move with a clumsy and heavy tread'.


    Thanks!
    Not a teacher only a native.

    Edited due to a schoolboy error.
    Last edited by shroob; 02-Jul-2011 at 09:28.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    According to wikipeida, Lewis Caroll said the following about the word, 'uffish':
    "It seemed to suggest a state of mind when the voice is gruffish, the manner roughish, and the temper huffish".
    Given this, I would say that the word is a verb.
    It's an adjective, qualifying the noun thought. -ish is a common suffix for adjectives, but not for verbs.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 283
    #4

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's an adjective, qualifying the noun thought. -ish is a common suffix for adjectives, but not for verbs.
    Argh, I realised this when I was out. I posted the answer then got called outside. By the time I had got in you had spotted my mistake before I could edit. Well done sir, fast eyes and faster hands!

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    Argh, I realised this when I was out. I posted the answer then got called outside. By the time I had got in you had spotted my mistake before I could edit. Well done sir, fast eyes and faster hands!
    'Twas my beamish eyes of flame and frumious fist-- or the fact that you whiffled back too tulgeily.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 283
    #6

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    'Twas my beamish eyes of flame and frumious fist-- or the fact that you whiffled back too tulgeily.
    Yeah... I actually googled those words .

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2011
    • Posts: 9
    #7

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    You both are great! Thanks!

    I understand that "uffish" is an adjective.

    However, I'm still confused about "galumphing."

    I understand that 'to galumph' is a verb.

    However, specifically in the sentence, "He went galumphing back," is 'galumphing' an adverb and 'went' is the main verb?

    What tense would the complete verb phrase 'went galumphing back' be considered to be in- past continuous?


  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    Quote Originally Posted by ELTer View Post
    I understand that 'to galumph' is a verb.

    However, specifically in the sentence, "He went galumphing back," is 'galumphing' an adverb
    It is the present participle of the verb used adverbially
    and 'went' is the main verb? Yes

    What tense would the complete verb phrase 'went galumphing back' be considered to be in- past continuous?
    The main verb is went, (not was going or was galumphing)so it is past simple.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #9

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    'Galumphing', is according to wikipeida, an old English word that is in the Oxford Dictionary..
    According to every source I can find, the word was coined by Caroll.

  4. suprunp's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 599
    #10

    Re: Jabberwocky lit analysis questions

    NOT A TEACHER

    Oxford English Dictionary

    galumph, v.
    (gəˈlʌmf)

    [Invented by ‘L. Carroll’ (perh. with some reminiscence of gallop, triumphant). The sense in current use may vary according to different notions of what the sound expresses. Cf. chortle v.]

    intr. Orig., to march on exultingly with irregular bounding movements. Now usu., to gallop heavily; to bound or move clumsily or noisily. Hence gaˈlumphing ppl. a. and vbl. n., lit. and fig.

    (I hope this could be of any help)

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Line in Jabberwocky
    By king carl in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-May-2011, 23:26
  2. [General] HELP needed for tomorrow's exam - TEXT ANALYSIS 10 questions
    By PaniJeziora09 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2011, 06:50
  3. Discourse analysis, pragmatic, jargon..questions?
    By Ever Student in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 19-Nov-2009, 11:24
  4. lit
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2003, 12:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •