Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Teachers, kindly help me understand when to use the Definite Article (the) and when not to.

Thanks in anticipation.

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
*Not a teacher

As I have written above, I am not a teacher, but the definite article is a quite heavy issue. I don't think that somebody can explain all about it in a forum post. There are a lot of rules, exceptions and disputes about its usage. You had better consult a grammar book which treat this subject in depth and, if you have a specific question, come back here and ask, and I am sure that somebody will help you out.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Teachers, kindly help me understand when to use the Definite Article (the) and when not to.

You could make a start by looking at the Similar Threads at the bottom of the page.

Rover

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
Thank you very much sir!

Now that I have read a lot on the usage of the definite article, one thing remains to be understood. That is, can we use the definite article with abstract nouns like "dark", "relation", "loyalty", "dedication"?

For example can I say, "As far as the loyalty of John is concerned, I doubt it"?

I know it would have been better had I said, "As far as John's loyalty is concerned..".

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
For example can I say, "As far as the loyalty of John is concerned, I doubt it"? Yes, you can.

I know it would have been better had I said, "As far as John's loyalty is concerned..,"

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you very much sir!

Now that I have read a lot on the usage of the definite article, one thing remains to be understood. That is, can we use the definite article with abstract nouns like "dark", "relation", "loyalty", "dedication"?

For example can I say, "As far as the loyalty of John is concerned, I doubt it"?

I know it would have been better had I said, "As far as John's loyalty is concerned..".
Yes, you have to use the definite article (or some other determiner) when you are referring to a specific instance of such abstract concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.